Delhi government asked to provide basic amenities in schoolsApril 23rd, 2008 - 12:23 am ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 22 (IANS) The Supreme Court Tuesday castigated the Delhi government for the lack of basic amenities like filtered water, toilets and fans and light in various government-run schools in the capital and ordered it to provide these within three months. Expressing annoyance over the abysmal lack of basic amenities in schools and the authorities’ apathy towards it, a bench of Justice Ashok Bhan and Justice Dalveer Bhandari also asked the state government’s education secretary to be present in the court July 29, the next date of hearing.
The order came during the hearing of a public interest lawsuit which pointed out lack of basic amenities, the requisite number of teachers and proper infrastructure in the schools.
The bench also asked the government to fill the vacancies of teachers and head masters, numbering 2,500, in all the 222 schools by the next date of hearing. The bench also sought a detailed affidavit by the government on the progress made in implementing its order.
The bench asked the government to undertake renovation work in school buildings and construct sufficient classrooms, so that the students do not have to study under the sun.
It ordered installation of various fire safety equipments in the schools.
The court earlier asked the government to file its status report in November 2007 on various steps taken by it to provide the amenities in the government schools.
But the bench Tuesday expressed its displeasure over the status report filed by the government and termed it as “totally vague and lacking particulars”.
- Centre to re-examine order to derecognise 44 deemed universities - Jan 11, 2011
- Apex court questions states over students' fate - Dec 14, 2010
- Supreme Court: Provide toilets in government schools - Oct 18, 2011
- Court seeks affidavit on Gandhi schools - Apr 06, 2012
- Court orders basic facilities at shelter within 48 hours - Feb 02, 2011
- Apex court rues lack of basic amenities to people - Feb 10, 2010
- Supreme Court bans employment of children in circuses - Apr 18, 2011
- Jayalalithaa's plea against court appearance rejected - Nov 04, 2011
- What are you doing to implement juvenile justice act, asks court - Sep 24, 2010
- Cash-for-vote scam: Delhi Police faces heat in apex court (Lead) - Jul 16, 2011
- Insensitive, callous to demolish night shelters: Apex court (Lead) - Dec 16, 2010
- Apex court adjourns hearing in Jayalalithaa graft case - Sep 06, 2011
- Apex court questions states over deemed varsities (Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
- Ensure not one life is lost in cold, apex court tells states - Jan 09, 2012
- Razing night shelters in peak winter insensitive: Apex court - Dec 16, 2010