Delhi, Dhaka finalise ‘friendship’ train detailsApril 4th, 2008 - 1:16 pm ICT by admin
Dhaka, April 4 (IANS) Railway official of India and Bangladesh have tied the loose ends of a deal under which a train called Maitree (friendship) Express will run between Dhaka and Kolkata from April 14. A formal pact would be signed before the launch, the New Age newspaper said Friday, quoting A.T.K.M. Ismail, an additional secretary of Bangladesh’s communication ministry.
R.N. Varma, who headed the seven-member Indian side, said: “We have mended all the loose ends and are now completely ready for the beginning of the train service.”
“We have discussed each and every item… immigration, customs and we are on the right track. We have no apprehension over the beginning of the train service and that is why we are here,” Varma, additional member (traffic) of the Indian Railway Board, said.
Prolonged talks have taken place between the two South Asian neighbours over this arrangement.
Bangladesh sought to meet the India’s concern over likelihood of unauthorised movement of men and goods using the proposed train service.
The Bangladeshi train with a capacity of 418 passengers will leave the cantonment station in Dhaka for Kolkata at 8.30 a.m. every Saturday.
The Indian train with a capacity of 366 passengers will start for Dhaka every Sunday at 7.10 a.m. The two sides have decided on train fares of $20, $15 and $10.
“Tickets will be sold after examining the passport and visa. The government will announce the date for the ticket sales through newspaper advertisements,” Ismail said.
- Kolkata-Dhaka Maitree Express cancelled Sept 11-12 - Sep 07, 2010
- India, Bangladesh to ease travel on Maitree Express - May 09, 2012
- Bangladesh railway touts dupe people ahead of Eid - Aug 25, 2011
- Dhaka-Kolkata friendship train may start mid-April - Mar 21, 2008
- Demand supply gap responsible for Tatkal woes: Mukul Roy - Jul 06, 2012
- India-Bangladesh train service to resume April 14 - Apr 03, 2008
- India to build second rail link with Bangladesh - Jun 09, 2011
- Now call to book train tickets - Oct 19, 2011
- Railways to curb Tatkal misuse - Nov 11, 2011
- Railways starts train movement in violence hit Assam - Jul 25, 2012
- Cigarette ban up in smoke in Kolkata stations - Nov 04, 2010
- Railway minister hints at fare hike - Nov 11, 2011
- Power outage in West Bengal, many trains stranded (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Maitree Express flagged off, restores India-Bangladesh rail link - Apr 14, 2008
- 3 lakh passengers, 300 trains stranded in eight states - Jul 31, 2012