Delhi court lets off three on probationFebruary 20th, 2012 - 5:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 20 (IANS) A Delhi court, giving benefit of probation to a 55-year-old and his two sons convicted for assaulting their neighbour, granted them a chance to reform themselves.
Additional Session Judge S.S. Rathi Saturday granted probation to Ram Niwas and his sons Naveen and Sudhir, convicted for causing grievous hurt and wrongful confinement, so they get a chance to reform themselves.
“Considering the fact that the convicts are running a shop in the neighbourhood of the complainant’s house, and were family persons, who ended up embroiled in a quarrel in the heat of passion, they deserve to be granted an opportunity to reform,” said Judge Rathi.
Defence counsel, requesting for a lenient view, told the court that the three convicted men have families to look after and were not previously charged or convicted for any offences.
Convict Ram Niwas, 55, is a cancer patient and has undergone a surgery. His wife is also a heart patient, said defence counsel.
The three men earn their living by running a grocery shop.
However, considering that the convicted father and sons caused grievous injury to Shakeel Ahmad, the court directed them to compensate him by paying Rs.50,000 each.
According to the prosecution, the three men attacked and caused grievous injury to Ahmad in November 2008. He got five fractures, and remained immobile and under treatment for almost two months.
- Israeli embassy car blast: 'Missing' documents traced - May 24, 2012
- Israeli embassy car bombing: Kazmi opposes court order - Jun 06, 2012
- Give copies of remand application to Kazmi: Court - May 25, 2012
- Kazmi urges resumption of hearing in sessions court - Jul 11, 2012
- 15-day parole to police official in 1997 Connaught Place killing - Jun 15, 2011
- Israeli embassy car bombing: Kazmi moves bail plea - Jul 13, 2012
- Sukh Ram surrenders, sent to Tihar Jail (Second Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Sukh Ram surrenders, sent to Tihar (Third Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Dead man alive: Apex court asks Jhansi court to probe - Dec 09, 2011
- Israeli embassy car attack: Court issues notice to police - Jul 25, 2012
- 'Right to self-defence extends to killing only in grave danger' - May 05, 2012
- Court reserves order on Kazmi's plea (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Israeli embassy car blast: Magistrate's decision set aside (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Court extends Kazmi's judicial custody (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Delhi court lets off bicycle thief on probation - Feb 26, 2012
Tags: cancer patient, complainant, convict, convicts, defence counsel, delhi court, fractures, grocery shop, heart patient, heat of passion, naveen, neighbour, neighbourhood, probation, quarrel, rathi, rs 50, shakeel ahmad, sudhir, three men