Delhi court issues yet another warrant for SalemApril 2nd, 2008 - 7:38 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 2 (IANS) A city court Wednesday issued a fresh warrant against underworld don Abu Salem to appear before it after Mumbai Police once again failed to present him in a five-year-old extortion case. Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) Sanjeev Jain directed authorities of the Arthur Road Jail in Mumbai - where Salem is lodged - to present the extradited gangster before the court May 28.
The court also issued show-cause notice to the Mumbai jail superintendent for not bringing Salem here despite several production warrants issued against him.
The Special Cell of Delhi Police had registered a case of extortion and criminal intimidation against Salem and his associates Ishtiyaq Ahmed and Chander Prakash in 2002.
They allegedly made extortion calls to a South Delhi businessman, Rajat Nagrath, demanding a sum of Rs.10 million. A first information report (FIR) in the case was registered in the Lodhi Colony police station on Nagrath’s complaint.
Salem, who was extradited from Portugal Nov 5, 2005, is also one of the accused in a Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) case registered in 2002 for allegedly attempting to extort Rs.50 million from Ashok Gupta, a Delhi-based contractor.
Salem is also accused in several more cases including those relating to acquiring passports on forged documents and the serial bombings in Mumbai in 1993.
- Court puts off Abu Salem case till Dec 20 - Nov 08, 2011
- Court reserves order on dropping charges against Salem (Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Court reserves order on charges against Salem - Feb 09, 2012
- MCOCA against Abu Salem dropped (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Abu Salem gets bail in extortion case - Jun 26, 2012
- Portugal Supreme Court cancels Salem's extradition, CBI unfazed (Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Portuguese Supreme Court cancels Salem's extradition, CBI unfazed (Second Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Abu Salem gets bail in extortion case (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Abu Salem seeks details of intercepted calls - Jul 21, 2009
- Salem's trial to continue, to move Portugal constitutional court: CBI - Jan 17, 2012
- Court frames extortion charges against Abu Salem - Jul 07, 2009
- India to approach Portuguese court on Salem extradition (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Abu Salem gets bail, but to remain in jail - May 11, 2011
- Notices to government, police over Salem's plea - Nov 06, 2009
- CBI defends Abu Salem's extradition - Jan 16, 2009