Delhi court asks Mumbai police to bring Abu SalemDecember 12th, 2008 - 11:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 12 (IANS) A city court Friday again asked the Mumbai police to bring underworld don Abu Salem before it to answer charges in a case of extortion after a similar order earlier was ignored.Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Kaveri Baweja sought Salem to be brought in her court Jan 16, next year.
The court issued the warrant against Salem after it received the information that proceedings against him in a Mumbai special court are in their final stages and it is not safe to bring Salem to Delhi.
Salem appeared before a court here early this month and was allowed to be taken to Mumbai after he submitted a written undertaking that he would appear in the court.
He was to appear in a case of alleged extortion call he made to a south Delhi-based businessman.
The gangster, who has been lodged in Mumbai’s Arthur Road Jail since his extradition from Portugal in 2005, had allegedly demanded Rs.10 million from Rajat Nagrath, owner of Allied Communications in East of Kailash, six years ago.
Salem is facing trial in eight cases in the country. Earlier, the court issued three warrants against him but a Mumbai court had stayed these on his lawyer’s plea on security grounds.
- Court frames extortion charges against Abu Salem - Jul 07, 2009
- Court puts off Abu Salem case till Dec 20 - Nov 08, 2011
- Court reserves order on dropping charges against Salem (Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Court reserves order on charges against Salem - Feb 09, 2012
- Charges of extortion framed against Abu Salem - Jul 07, 2009
- Abu Salem gets bail in extortion case - Jun 26, 2012
- Abu Salem returns to Mumbai after Delhi court appearance (Lead) - Nov 26, 2008
- Salem produced in Delhi court, allowed to return to Mumbai - Nov 26, 2008
- Portugal Supreme Court cancels Salem's extradition, CBI unfazed (Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- MCOCA against Abu Salem dropped (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- No bail for Salem, no video conferencing of trial - Sep 30, 2009
- Court suggests Abu Salem's trial through video conferencing - Aug 04, 2009
- Abu Salem seeks details of intercepted calls - Jul 21, 2009
- Salem's trial to continue, to move Portugal constitutional court: CBI - Jan 17, 2012
- Abu Salem likely to be produced in Delhi court Wednesday - Nov 25, 2008