Delhi corporal punishment victim to be compensatedMarch 21st, 2012 - 10:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 21 (IANS) The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) Wednesday directed the Delhi government to provide monetary relief of Rs.50,000 to a Delhi school boy, a victim of corporal punishment.
“The decision was taken following a complaint filed April 22, 2010 on the basis of a newspaper clipping alleging that a 12-year-old boy Arjun Chandra was beaten by his mathematics teacher Dec 10, 2009,” an NHRC official said.
The boy suffered injuries on his left shoulder and the elbow for which he was operated upon.
“On the basis of reports and materials, we found that the allegations were correct and the teacher was booked by the police at the Ambedkar Nagar police station,” added the official.
A charge-sheet was also filed in the court of the Metropolitan Magistrate in Saket.
Despite repeated reminders, the secretary of the Delhi government’s education department did not respond to the show cause notice for payment of monetary relief to the boy, said NHRC.
Finally, the commission recommended that the Delhi government pay the compensation and the chief secretary of Delhi has been directed to send the proof of payment.
The next date for hearing of the matter in the commission has been fixed for April 5, 2012.
- Rights panel notice to Delhi over ailing workers - Jul 09, 2012
- Compensate rape victim, Bihar told - Jan 31, 2012
- Rights panel seeks report on killing of fishermen - Mar 19, 2011
- NHRC asks Bihar for report on students' thrashing - Jul 19, 2012
- Pay Rs.5 lakh each to fake shoot-out victims' kin: NHRC - Mar 22, 2010
- Pay Rs.300,000 for rape, Haryana told - Mar 26, 2010
- Compensate woman mistreated by police, NHRC tells Delhi - Mar 22, 2012
- NHRC orders relief to kin of child killed in gate collapse - Aug 24, 2012
- Media should highlight rights violations: NHRC (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- NHRC notice to Haryana on abandoned baby girls - Jul 11, 2012
- NHRC issues notice to Delhi government, power discom - Sep 05, 2012
- Media should highlight rights violations: NHRC - Apr 27, 2012
- Apex court given report on ex-chief justice Balakrishnan (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Kerala partly complies with NHRC order on endosulphan victims - Jun 11, 2012
- NHRC issues notice to Haryana on child's death - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: ambedkar, chandra, chief secretary, corporal punishment, delhi government, delhi school, education department, human rights commission, left shoulder, magistrate, mathematics teacher, monetary relief, national human rights commission, newspaper clipping, nhrc, police station, reminders, rs 50, s education, saket