Delhi cop robbed of seized bike by traffic violatorJune 14th, 2012 - 10:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 14 (IANS) A Delhi traffic constable was attacked and robbed of a motorbike he had seized for a traffic violation by the errant owner and his accomplices, police said Thursday.
The constable was driving the confiscated bike to the traffic office depository when he was attacked late Monday night.
Suresh Singh of the Mehrauli traffic police circle in south Delhi was attacked by the youths, all in their 30s, around 10.15 p.m. Monday near the Saket Metro station.
The main accused has been identified as Lakshman, resident of Madangir, while the other two are yet unidentified.
“The constable, along with his colleagues, was deputed at Mehrauli-Badarpur Road to check on drunken driving. During one such check, Lakshman was booked for violation and his vehicle seized,” said a police official.
Singh’s superior officer directed him to deposit the bike at the Lado Sarai traffic office.
“When Singh reached near Saket Metro station on Lakshman’s bike, the accused along with two friends came from behind and asked him to stop. When he did not heed their call, they hit him with a helmet,” said the official.
On being hit, Singh lost control of the bike and fell on the road. The accused gathered the bike and fled along with his accomplices.
- Seven held for thefts in Delhi buses - Feb 03, 2011
- Car blast: abandoned bike found in south Delhi - Feb 15, 2012
- Two held for Uttar Pradesh cop's killing - Oct 27, 2011
- Minor speeding on scooter injures cop - Oct 18, 2011
- Suspended cop held for plot to kill wife - Sep 06, 2011
- Delhi traffic cops' powers curbed - Jun 11, 2011
- Traffic advisory issued near Karni Singh Shooting range - Oct 04, 2010
- Bus service from Qutub Minar Metro station to Badarpur - Jun 28, 2010
- Chandigarh citizens haul up errant cops on Facebook - Jun 11, 2011
- Speeding Mercedes kills constable, injures another in Delhi (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Phone calls made to Israel, Iran, Lebanon being examined (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Couple, driver held for three murders - Mar 14, 2011
- More rain in Delhi spells chaos on city roads (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Scattered rain, traffic jams in Delhi (Lead) - Sep 09, 2011
- Air Force official murder case solved, four arrested - Jan 24, 2012
Tags: accomplices, colleagues, constable, cop, depository, helmet, june 14, lakshman, metro station, monday night, motorbike, New Delhi, police official, south delhi, suresh singh, traffic office, traffic police, traffic violation, traffic violator, two friends