Delhi continues to swelter, monsoon likely after July 3 (Lead)July 2nd, 2012 - 4:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 2 (IANS) Hot and sultry weather conditions may continue in the national capital for a few more days as the weather office forecast light rains Monday evening. “Monsoon is likely to arrive in the capital any day after July 3,” an Indian Meteorological Department official said.
Monsoon rains were expected in Delhi by June 29, but wind conditions over Uttar Pradesh have delayed its advancement, the official added.
The week began on a sweltering note Monday with the minimum temperature settling five notches above the season’s average at 32 degrees Celsius. However, the weather office has forecast some respite with light rains Monday evening.
“Sky will be clear during the day but towards evening it will become partly cloudy. Thunder storms and light rains are expected,” the official said.
The maximum temperature is likely to hover around the 43 degrees Celsius mark, added the IMD official.
The maximum humidity at 8.30 a.m. was 67 percent.
Sunday’s maximum temperature was seven notches above average at 43.2 degree Celsius, while the minimum temperature was four notches above average at 31.4 degrees Celsius.
Hot and oppressive weather conditions have forced the Delhi government to extend summer vacations in its schools by a week till July 9.
The parents and students have welcomed the decision.
“These hot and sultry weather conditions are a recipe for falling ill. It is good that we don’t have to send our children to school for another week,” says Ayesha, whose four-year-old daughter goes to a south Delhi school.
Several private schools have also decided to follow the government direction.
- Hot day for Delhi, light rains expected - Jul 02, 2012
- Heat keeps grip on Delhi, schools vacations extended (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Muggy Wednesday, no rain likely till Friday (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Delhi has hot Tuesday, rain likely - Jul 03, 2012
- Hot, windy day in Delhi, rain likely Wednesday (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Pleasant Monday in Delhi with some rain, more expected Tuesday (Lead) - Sep 17, 2012
- Delhi has another hot day, rains expected Sunday (Lead) - Jun 23, 2012
- Sweltering Delhi to get monsoon rains this week (Second Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Hot, humid Saturday in Delhi, rains expected Sunday (Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Thursday may be cloudy in Delhi (Lead) - May 11, 2011
- Searing day, no rains for Delhi - Jul 01, 2012
- Another hot day in store for Delhi - May 11, 2011
- Steamy Monday in Delhi as rains stay away again (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Hot, sunny Sunday in Delhi, rains expected Monday (Lead) - May 20, 2012
- Sweltering day for Delhi - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: degree celsius, delhi government, delhi school, evening sky, government direction, indian meteorological department, maximum temperature, minimum temperature, monsoon rains, notches, private schools, respite, south delhi, sultry weather, summer vacations, thunder storms, uttar pradesh, weather conditions, weather office, wind conditions