Delhi civic polls: BJP celebrates, Congress sombre (Sidelights)April 17th, 2012 - 9:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 17 (IANS) Firecrackers, drum beats and dancing, it was jubilation at the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) headquarters here Tuesday as the party gained a clear majority in the civic polls while the atmosphere was sombre at the Congress headquarters.
Hundreds of BJP workers started gathering outside 11, Ashok Road - the party office in central Delhi - since morning as results of the elections for the trifurcated Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) indicated a sweep.
Waving party flags, they danced to drum beats and distributed laddoos (sweets).
In contrast, the Congress headquarters wore a deserted look with hardly any leader or supporter present.
The scene was similar at Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit’s residence at Motilal Nehru Marg in the central Delhi area. While media persons camped outside her residence for a reaction after the poor performance of the party, Dikshit remained indoors.
When cheers turned into tears
There were signs of anxiety and tension among hundreds of supporters of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Congress who reached the 32 counting centres for the April 15 elections held for the trifurcated Municipal Corporation of Delhi’s (MCD).
However, as the results started pouring in, hinting a clean sweep for the BJP, several dejected Congress supporters sneaked out of the centres while some optimists stayed on, hoping for miracles. But these never came. Supporters of Congress leaders who lost could even be seen with tears in their eyes.
The optimism turned into criticism within a couple of hours as the picture of a BJP sweep got clear. After swallowing the bitter pill of defeat, many Congress supporters could be seen engaged in heated debates over the reasons behind the loss.
‘I won’t give up’, says eunuch candidate after defeat
She may have lost in the April 15 MCD poll but her morale is not down. Chandni, 27, a eunuch who contested from Pratap Vihar in west Delhi, vowed to continue her efforts for the betterment of the community.
“The results have not disheartened me and I know I am loved by many in my community as well as my ward. I’ll be better prepared the next time.”
“I will definitely fight the next MCD elections and never give up,” she added.
It was in 2009 that eunuchs were allowed to contest the MCD elections and enrol in the voters’ list as ‘others’, instead of male or female.
Sehwag as brother, sister scores
He is credited with taking India home in several crucial cricket matches single handedly. So, when ace batsman Virendra Sehwag came out on the roads to campaign for his sister Anju Sehwag, her victory from Dakshinpuri was inevitable.
As a Congress candidate, Anju got her brother to campaign for her in an open jeep with her.
Other high profile winners were Shobha Gupta, wife of Delhi Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) chief Vijender Gupta; Delhi mayor Rajni Abbi and chairperson of MCD’s standing committee Yogender Chandolia.
- MCD elections: Sheila attacks BJP - Mar 12, 2012
- New Mayor for east Delhi civic agency - May 01, 2012
- This was not my election: Sheila Dikshit - Apr 18, 2012
- Civic poll loss not a referendum on me: Dikhit (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Civic polls: Did trifurcation move boomerang? - Apr 17, 2012
- Vote for the 'other' candidate: Eunuchs tell Delhi - Apr 08, 2012
- BJP wins Delhi civic polls, but road ahead not so smooth - Apr 17, 2012
- No new taxes, medical college: BJP promises for civic polls - Apr 08, 2012
- Defeat in Delhi civic polls a wake up call to Dikshit - Apr 19, 2012
- Ahead of Delhi civic polls, Gadkari attacks Congress - Apr 03, 2012
- Delhi votes for three new civic bodies Sunday - Apr 14, 2012
- Delhi votes to elect new civic bodies (Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Citizen's charter among Congress promises for MCD polls - Apr 07, 2012
- Delhi civic polls: BJP headed for win (Third Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Bhagidari will be introduced if Congress wins: Dikshit - Apr 13, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bitter pill, bjp, central delhi, civic polls, clean sweep, congress leaders, congress supporters, delhi area, drum beats, firecrackers, media persons, motilal nehru, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, nehru marg, party flags, pratap, sheila dikshit, sidelights