Delhi civic polls: 32 counting centres set upApril 16th, 2012 - 8:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 16 (IANS) The Delhi State Election Commission has set up counting centres at 32 places across the city for counting of votes for the recently trifurcated Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) polls.
The counting will begin at 8 a.m. Tuesday, State Election Commissioner Rakesh Mehta said.
“We have made appropriate arrangements for carrying out the counting. We have set up 32 counting centres in various parts of Delhi. The counting will start by 8 a.m. and the trends of the results are expected by 12 noon tomorrow (Tuesday). But the final tally is expected to be out by evening,” Mehta told reporters.
Polling for the trifurcated civic body was held Sunday in which 55 percent polling was recorded.
“We have deployed adequate number of security personnel at the 32 counting centres, where the electronic voting machines (EVM) are kept till the counting is taken up,” Special Commissioner of Police (Law and Order) Dharmendra Kumar told IANS.
A total of 2,423 candidates were in the fray for 272 municipal wards of the three municipal corporations of North, South and East Delhi.
“We will not allow mobile phones inside the counting hall. There is no CCTV coverage, but the counting process will be videographed. Apart from this, the counting agents will have separate entry and exit. A strict vigil will be kept by the police personnel in and around the counting centres, which are mostly educational institutions,” Mehta added.
Tuesday will give the verdict on the winner - whether it is the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) or Congress led by Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
- Counting of votes in MCD polls begins - Apr 17, 2012
- Average voting in initial hours of Delhi civic polls (Second Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Voting picks up in Delhi civic polls (Third Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Delhi Police geared up for Sunday's civic polls (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- Delhi votes to elect new civic bodies (Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Over 55 percent turnout in Delhi civic polls, highest in 15 years (Roundup) - Apr 15, 2012
- Delhi votes for three new civic bodies Sunday - Apr 14, 2012
- Voting begins for MCD elections - Apr 15, 2012
- Delhi civic polls: BJP headed for win (Third Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Delhi civic polls on April 15 (Second Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Delhi votes to pick trifurcated civic body (Fourth Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Delhi civic polls: BJP leading in early trends (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Delhi civic polls: BJP heads for big lead (Second Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Highest ever voting in peaceful Delhi civic polls (Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- This was not my election: Sheila Dikshit - Apr 18, 2012
Tags: adequate number, bharatiya janata party, civic body, civic polls, commissioner of police, delhi state election commission, dharmendra, east delhi, educational institutions, election commissioner, electronic voting machines, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, municipal corporations, municipal wards, noon tomorrow, police law, sheila dikshit, state election commission, strict vigil