Delhi chief minister mourns Habib Tanvir’s deathJune 8th, 2009 - 4:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 8 (IANS) Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit Monday mourned the death of veteran theatre personality Habib Tanvir, who passed away in Bhopal after prolonged illness.
Dikshit described Tanvir as one of the most popular Hindi playwrights.
Tanvir died at about 6.30 a.m. Monday at the National Hospital at Bhopal, where he had been admitted about 20 days ago after developing respiratory problems. He was 85, family sources said.
Dikshit, who is in Nanital in Uttarakhand, spoke to the daughter of Tanvir to convey her personal condolences and grief.
The chief minister said that the country has lost a “legend” with the demise of Tanvir.
Tanvir was a popular Hindi playwright, theatre director, actor and poet and wrote plays like “Agra Bazar” (1954) and “Charandas Chor” (1975). In 1959, he founded a theatre company called the Naya Theatre.
He was a recipient of the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1969, Padma Shri in 1983, Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship in 1996, and the Padma Bhushan in 2002.
Tanvir was also nominated as a member of the Rajya Sabha (1972-1978). His play “Charandas Chor” got him the Fringe Firsts Award at the Edinburgh International Drama Festival in 1982.
- Sonia Gandhi mourns Habib Tanvir's death - Jun 08, 2009
- Noted playwright Habib Tanvir dead - Jun 08, 2009
- Habib Tanvir's contribution to Indian theatre now in a book - Sep 01, 2012
- Noted playwright Habib Tanvir passes away - Jun 08, 2009
- PM condoles demise of noted playwright Habib Tanvir - Jun 08, 2009
- Country mourns death of theatre legend Habib Tanvir (Lead) - Jun 08, 2009
- Playwright Habib Tanvir's condition improving: doctors - May 14, 2009
- Habib Tanvir's death an irreparable loss: Theatre fraternity - Jun 08, 2009
- Habib Tanvir was a man of quiet determination (Obituary) - Jun 08, 2009
- Artists should look for art in rural India: Nageen Tanvir (With Image) - Sep 01, 2012
- 33 young artists honoured with Akademi award - Mar 07, 2012
- Kunal Kemmu excited for grandfather's Padma Shri glory - Jan 25, 2012
- Vocalist Girija Devi conferred Sangeet Natak Akademi fellowship - Jul 22, 2011
- Focus on Indian folk at Sangeet Natak Akademi festival - Jul 27, 2011
- Khayyam gets Padma Bhushan - Jan 25, 2011