Delhi businessman shot, property dispute suspected

April 7th, 2008 - 5:52 pm ICT by admin  


New Delhi, April 7 (IANS) A city-based businessman was killed Monday morning when three unidentified men on a motorcycle shot him in south Delhi, the police said, adding that a “property dispute” could have been the motive. Arun Gupta, an electronic goods merchant, was killed at 10.40 a.m. while he was driving his car, barely a few metres from his Kalkaji home. The 47-year-old is survived by his wife and two sons.

“The rider was wearing a helmet, but the two people riding pillion were not. They first knocked on the side window of Gupta’s Wagon R car near a roundabout, signalling him to halt,” said Bobby, a witness.

“One man got down from the bike and pumped a bullet into Gupta’s head the moment he rolled down the window. I then heard one of the assailant saying, ‘the man inside the car is still alive, fire more’.”

“The man then fired a bullet at Gupta’s chest and fled from the scene. I tried to stop them, even hit them with my purse,” the eyewitness said, pointing to her ripped bag.

“There were so many people on the road at that time but no one dared to act,” she added.

Bobby then called the police and Gupta’s family.

Gupta was taken to Holy Family Hospital, where doctors declared him dead. His body has been sent to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) for a post-mortem examination.

“Initial investigations suggest that he was killed over a personal vendetta or some property dispute. But we are investigating the matter from all possible angles,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police (South Delhi) H.G.S. Dhaliwal.

“At present we are not sure how many bullets were fired. We are recording the statement of the eyewitness and will draw sketches of the accused,” he said.

Gupta’s friend Prince said the family suspects that a property dispute may be the cause of the murder.

“There was a dispute between Arun and his brothers-in-law B.K. Mittal and Sunny Mittal over some property after his father-in-law’s death last year. His mother-in-law was trying to settle the issue between the two families,” Prince added.

“We never expected the dispute to take an ugly turn.”

“We have verified that Mittals were in court at the time of the shootout. But they have been called to join the investigation,” a police official said.

“We hope to crack the matter soon,” he added.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |