Delhi businessman shot dead, possibly over property

April 7th, 2008 - 11:01 pm ICT by admin  

(Second Lead)

New Delhi, April 7 (IANS) A city-based businessman was shot dead Monday morning by three unidentified men on a motorcycle in south Delhi. The police said a property dispute could have prompted the killing. Arun Gupta, an electronics goods trader, was killed at 10.40 a.m. while he was driving his WagonR car, barely a few metres from his Kalkaji home.

According to the police, Gupta was heading for his shop, Krishna Electronics in Bhagirath Palace near Red Fort, when he was killed. The 47-year-old is survived by his wife and two sons.

“The rider of the motorcycle was wearing a helmet but the two men riding pillion were not. They first knocked on the side window of Gupta’s car near a roundabout, signalling him to halt,” said Bobby, a witness.

“One man alighted from the bike and pumped a bullet into Gupta’s head the moment he rolled down the window. I then heard one of the assailants saying, ‘The man inside the car is still alive, fire more’.”

“The man then fired a bullet at Gupta’s chest and they fled from the scene. I tried to stop them, even hit them with my purse,” the eyewitness said, pointing to her ripped bag.

“There were so many people on the road at the time but no one dared to act,” she added.

Bobby then called the police and Gupta’s family, who she knows as her neighbours.

Gupta was taken to Holy Family Hospital, where doctors declared him dead. His body has been sent to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) for a post-mortem examination.

“Initial investigations suggest that he was killed over a personal vendetta or some property dispute. But we are investigating the killing from all possible angles,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police (South Delhi) H.G.S. Dhaliwal.

“At present, we are not sure how many bullets were fired. We are recording the statement of the eyewitness and will draw sketches of the accused,” he said.

Gupta’s family told the police that he had received threats to his life following a property dispute with his brothers-in-law and had written to Delhi Police Commissioner Y.S. Dadwal asking for security. However, the police did not take any security measures.

Gupta’s friend Prince said the family suspected that the property dispute could be the cause of the murder.

“There was a dispute between Arun and his brothers-in-law Sneh and Dinesh over some property after his father-in-law’s death last year. His mother-in-law was trying to settle the issue between the two families,” Prince added.

“We never expected the dispute to take an ugly turn.”

According to senior police officials, the tiff began after the death of Madan Lal Mittal, Gupta’s father-in-law.

“Madan Lal Mittal had left a property and bank balance worth billions to his wife, who later gave a large chunk to her daughter Sadhna, who was married to Gupta,” a police official said.

“The Mittals and Guptas moved to the high court, where the matter is being heard. For some time now, both families were not sharing healthy relations,” he added.

The police have detained Sneh and Dinesh Mittal and are questioning them.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |