Delhi building collapse toll rises to sevenMarch 29th, 2008 - 2:45 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 29 (IANS) At least seven people were killed and 20 injured when a four-storey building under construction collapsed in northeast Delhi Saturday morning. Early Saturday afternoon, four to five people were still feared trapped under the rubble, while 27 victims had been pulled out.
The house being built for the past four months in Brahmapuri area of new Usmanpur collapsed at around 7.30 a.m. due to “shoddy construction material”, the police said.
According to neighbours, over 30 labourers who were living in the building were trapped under the rubble.
Eight fire tenders, hydraulic machines, cranes, trucks and tractors were used for the rescue work. Disaster management experts from civil defence forces joined the rescuers.
Hundreds of locals also helped the rescue workers pull out 27 people from under the rubble.
The injured were rushed to Guru Tegh Bahadur Hospital, where seven people succumbed to their injuries. One of the victims was 11 years old.
“The building collapsed due to shoddy material used in the construction work,” said Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police (Northeast Delhi) Rajiv Ranjan.
In an effort to control the crowd around the site, the police deployed anti-riot personnel complete with water cannons.
- Five hurt in Delhi roof collapse - Dec 04, 2011
- Four killed in Mumbai building collapse - Mar 17, 2011
- Two killed in building collapse (Lead) - Jul 16, 2011
- Nine trapped in China building collapse - Jun 20, 2011
- Five dead in Pakistan building collapse - Apr 13, 2012
- Building collapses in Ghaziabad - Jul 16, 2011
- Toll in Jalandhar factory accident rises to 23 - Apr 22, 2012
- Toll in Delhi building collapse rises to 64, rescue work still on - Nov 16, 2010
- Three killed in Delhi building collapse (Lead, superseding earlier story) - May 17, 2011
- Ghaziabad building collapse toll at five (Lead) - Jul 17, 2011
- Two killed in Delhi building collapse - May 17, 2011
- Two labourers killed in Nagpur building collapse - Jan 31, 2012
- Two skyscrapers collapse in Brazil - Jan 26, 2012
- Four killed in Delhi building collapse - Dec 03, 2011
- Four dead in building collapse - Jul 17, 2011