Delhi blasts: Indian Mujahideen takes responsibility, police unsureSeptember 13th, 2008 - 9:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 13 (IANS) Terror outfit Indian Mujahideen has claimed responsibility for the serial bomb blasts in Delhi Saturday evening, though police said they were not sure about the identity of the perpetrators.“The Indian Mujahideen has claimed something but we are not very sure about it,” Delhi Police joint commissioner Karnail Singh told reporters.
“Whether its Indian Mujahideen or anyone else, we want to arrest those behind it. We had no intelligence input about the blasts,” Singh added.
He, however, maintained there was “no lapse in security”.
Indian Mujahideen that claimed responsibility for the July 26 serial bombings in Ahmedabad that claimed 56 lives. Security agencies believe it is a frontal organisation of the banned Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI).
Singh said terrorists generally try to attack during the “festival seasons” but this was a “lean season”. The terrorists targeted parking places and busy market places as “they get easy access”, he added.
Singh said police were collecting details of the dead and the injured from the hospitals. “We are not sure about the number of casualties at this point of time.”
Delhi Police Commissioner Y.S. Dadwal said they had already formed a special team to probe the blasts.