Delhi blast accused sent to 10 days police remand (Lead)

June 11th, 2009 - 9:21 pm ICT by IANS  

New Delhi, June 11 (IANS) Delhi bomb blast accused and Indian Mujahideen member Akbar Ismail Choudhary was Thursday sent to 10 days police custody. He was brought here from Hyderabad earlier in the day by the Special Cell of Delhi Police for interrogation over the 2008 serial blasts.
Choudhary, 27, brought to Delhi on a transit remand, was produced before the Tis Hazari court of Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Kaveri Baweja, who remanded him to police custody till June 20.

The Special Cell told the court that Choudhary’s interrogation was necessary to know the conspiracy hatched by the militant outfit.

“The accused is said to be involved in the Delhi blasts and he had purchased a laptop for sending e-mail to the media,” the court said while granting the police his custody.

According to police, he was an accomplice of Mohammad Mansoor Ashgar Peerbhoy, who allegedly headed the media cell of the Indian Mujahideen and sent e-mail claiming responsibility for the Jaipur, Ahmedabad and Delhi blasts which together killed over 200 people.

Choudhury is suspected to be involved in the Karol Bagh blast in the capital.

At least 26 people were killed and over 100 injured when serial blasts ripped through the capital Sep 13, 2008. The police arrested many members of the Indian Mujahideen and have filed a chargesheet in the case.

Choudhury, along with three other members of Indian Mujahideen, was arrested by the anti-terrorism squad of Maharashtra Police last year. He was also allegedly involved in the twin blasts in Hyderabad in 2007 for which he has been chargesheeted by the police.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |