Delhi bikers’ gang member arrested in Tamil Nadu (Lead)August 30th, 2008 - 9:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 30 (IANS) Four days after Delhi Police shot dead the leader of the notorious ‘bikers’ gang’ responsible for a spate of shooting incidents in and around the capital, his accomplice Mohammed Israil has been nabbed from Tamil Nadu, police said Saturday.Israil, the second member of the gang to be arrested in the last five days, carried a reward of Rs.50,000. He was arrested from Coimbatore Friday.
“Israil had been constantly on the move due to the mounting police pressure. He shifted to south India to evade arrest. Following a tip-off, a Delhi Police team left for Coimbatore, where Israil was hiding after gang leader Bunty was shot dead,” Deputy Commissioner of Police H.G.S. Dhaliwal said.
Gang leader Om Prakash alias Bunty and Rajesh alias Panni were shot dead by a Delhi Police team Aug 25.
“He (Israil) was brought to Delhi Saturday morning and the police are interrogating him,” Dhaliwal told reporters here.
Israil has been wanted in over a dozen cases of robbery and murder in Delhi, Faridabad, Noida, Greater Noida, Panipat, Karnal, Meerut and Ghaziabad.
Israil was residing at Coimbatore under the name of Ajay.
“Following the information, all the guest houses and hotels in the town were checked and specifically the hotels providing north Indian food were provided with photographs and briefed about Israil.
“Based on the clues provided by the local people, the team intercepted him at a bus stop in Coimbatore. The accused had completely changed his appearance by sporting a beard and ponytail. He had also learnt some sentences in Tamil and tried to confuse police,” Dhaliwal added.
Raghav Verma, another member of the gang, was arrested here Wednesday.
After killing two members of the gang and arresting two more, Delhi Police are on a lookout of for the fifth gang member, Shivom.
The biker gang first made news July 5 when its members gunned down property dealer Sonu, 25, outside his Sangam Vihar residence. That day, they also shot at a man and robbed his Pulsar bike in the same area.
The gang robbed the owner of a TV showroom in Kalkaji area of south Delhi and the customers during daylight the next day. The same day they robbed another motorbike from Defence Colony area of south Delhi at gunpoint.
On July 11, the gang killed two friends - Ashneet Singh, 24, and Harjeet Singh, 26 - in Amar Colony near Lajpat Nagar, also in south Delhi. Barely a few minutes later, they shot dead Sanjeev Suri, 30, near the Andrews Ganj crossing when one of the motorcycles they had stolen ran out of fuel.
The very next day the gang shot Naresh and Pawan, both in their 30s, in south Delhi’s Dakshinpuri area. On July 21, they robbed a motorcycle from Okhla area.
After carrying out a series of robberies and killing people in south Delhi, the gang beat up and robbed a motorcycle rider in Mayur Vihar of east Delhi. They also robbed two shops in east Delhi.
- Member of Delhi bikers' gang arrested in Tamil Nadu - Aug 30, 2008
- Police shoot dead leader, member of Delhi bikers' gang - Aug 25, 2008
- Bikers' gang leader, member shot dead by police (Lead) - Aug 25, 2008
- Last of notorious Bunty gang arrested in Delhi - Oct 27, 2008
- Gang of bus robbers busted, 11 arrested - Feb 11, 2011
- Six planning to rob businessman held - Mar 27, 2011
- Three members of biker gang arrested in Delhi (Lead) - Aug 01, 2008
- Kurukshetra University president's killer held in Gurgaon - Apr 05, 2012
- Seven held for thefts in Delhi buses - Feb 03, 2011
- Biker gang leader Bunty's autopsy conducted - Aug 26, 2008
- Software executive shot dead - Nov 22, 2010
- Dacoit gang busted, five arrested - Feb 21, 2011
- Biker gang leader Bunty's aide arrested - Aug 28, 2008
- Robbers who used toy pistols nabbed - Mar 26, 2010
- Killer of traders' association chief arrested in Delhi - Sep 07, 2009