Delhi art lovers rally at Christie’s charity auctionFebruary 7th, 2009 - 12:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 7 (IANS) The recession doesn’t seem to have dampened the spirit of the capital’s art lovers who purchased paintings and artefacts worth millions of rupees at an auction conducted by Christie’s of London. While a Jayasri Burman painting endorsed by the Ambani family of Kokilaben, Deepti and Isheta went for Rs. 2.2 million at the auction Friday night, celebrated painter Akbar Padamsee’s work, endorsed by Bollywood couple Rishi and Neetu Kapoor, fetched Rs.1.9 million.
A Ram Kumar work was sold for Rs.1.4 million and a a Laxman Shreshtha work endorsed by industrialist Gautam Hari Singhania fetched Rs. two million.
A Yusuf Arakkal painting sponsored by another industrialist, Kiran Mazumdar Shaw, earned Rs 1.6 million.
Journalist turned painter Kota Neelima’s work along with husband Anirudh Khaitan fetched Rs. 100,000.
International exhibitors included Sacha Jafri from Lebanon and Jamil Naqsh from Pakistan.
The auction was organised by Khushii, a NGO working for charity causes including a hospital at Nimrana in Rajasthan and tsunami-hit people in southern India.
The Malaysian High Commission provided the venue for New Delhi’s art glitterati.
- Chinese art students claim painting that fetched $11mn - Sep 17, 2011
- Husain fetches Rs.1.45 crore at art auction - Nov 06, 2011
- Sotheby's sells eight Picassos for more than $50 mn - May 05, 2011
- Yusuf Arakkal: Portrait of artist and his haunting, taunting faces - Feb 03, 2011
- Art auction to raise money for underprivileged children - Jan 19, 2009
- Husain's work fetches over Rs.2 crore (With Image) - Mar 19, 2010
- Akbar Padamsee to lead Sotheby's Asian art sale - Feb 18, 2011
- Demi Moore 'to sell paintings from her collection' - Oct 13, 2010
- Tyeb Mehta, Souza lead auction stakes at Christie's - May 26, 2011
- Tyeb Mehta's 'Kali' sells for Rs.5.72 crore in online auction - Jun 20, 2011
- Family, friends recall Husain, colossus of Indian art - Sep 17, 2011
- 19th century painting sells for record $5.2 mn - Apr 26, 2012
- Painting by Chinese artist sold for 65 mn dollars! - May 23, 2011
- Four private Indian art archives from US on sale at Sotheby's - Aug 09, 2012
- Raza, Husain, Souza top grossers in online art auction - Sep 14, 2010