Delhi appeals single judge order on gurdwara electionFebruary 17th, 2012 - 11:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 17 (IANS) The Delhi government Friday moved the Delhi High Court against a single judge’s order restraining it from issuing a notification for next month’s Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee (DSGMC) elections.
The Feb 7 order had directed city government to update, within a month, the electoral rolls with photographs of voters for the DSGMC elections.
The directorate of gurdwara election (DGE) also challenged the order of Justice Vipin Sanghi ordering it to complete the exercise of delimitation in 46 wards within a month.
A bench of Acting Chief Justice A K Sikri and Justice Rajiv Sahi Endlaw posted the matter for hearing Feb 21.
Challenging the order, the government in its petition said that “the single judge has no right to pass such order once the directorate has declared the schedule for the polls”.
On the exercise of delimitation of 46 wards, the government said that it would take a long time and could be done only after the elections.
The single court’s order came on a petition filed by Harmohan Singh, a poll aspirant, alleging that the directorate had virtually announced the schedule for the election but the notification was yet to be issued.
The election is scheduled for March 11 and the filing of nomination papers by candidates would have started Feb 16, he said.
“The election of DSGMC on the basis of incomplete list of voters and without delimitation of wards will cause unfair representation of the members from each ward,” the petition said.
“A number of duplicate voters have been mentioned in the list and non-Sikhs also figure in the voters’ list,” it added
- Delhi High Court reserves order on gurdwara - Feb 22, 2012
- Update Delhi gurdwara poll voters' list, says court - Feb 08, 2012
- High court gives nod for Delhi gurdwara polls - Mar 01, 2012
- Court seeks Delhi varsity view on OBC quota in minority colleges - Jun 22, 2012
- 'Incumbent SGPC president to run affairs of body' - Mar 30, 2012
- Non-baptised Sikhs can vote in SGPC polls: Court - Dec 20, 2011
- No OBC reservation in minority institutions: Court - Jun 25, 2012
- Sehajdhari Sikhs want cancellation of SGPC poll - Dec 21, 2011
- Goa Church threatens boycott of village panchayat polls - May 03, 2012
- No changes in SGPC election norms, government clarifies - Sep 02, 2011
- Gurdwara polls: Government drops curbs on voters - Sep 02, 2011
- Non-baptised Sikhs can vote in SGPC polls: Court (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Court refuses to stay Sep 18 SGPC poll - Sep 06, 2011
- Delhi poll panel gets notice on MCD elections - Feb 03, 2012
- Plea against Scheduled Caste, woman seats in MCD polls dismissed (Second Lead) - Mar 01, 2012