Delhi airport’s new domestic terminal to be ready this yearAugust 21st, 2008 - 2:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 21 (IANS) The new domestic terminal at the capital’s Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGI) will be ready by the end of this year, Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel said here Thursday.Patel, who inaugurated the airport’s third runway - at 4,430 metres one of the longest in Asia - said it will be operational “sometime in September”, and that the first phase of the new international terminal would be ready by 2010 in time for Commonwealth Games.
The minister said Rs.90 billion has been set aside for development of the IGI airport.
The runway has been developed by the Delhi Airport Development Ltd (DIAL), a joint venture led by infrastructure developer GMR Infrastructure.
“DIAL is also building a brand new domestic terminal which should be ready by this year on an investment of Rs.5 billion,” Patel said.
He also said the government had drawn up plans to build airports at places that did not have any, or upgrade those which were in a bad shape.
GMR said the runway construction had been completed six months ahead of schedule.
- No action or comment on leaked report: Ajit Singh - May 23, 2012
- Development fee at Delhi, Mumbai airports under review: Ravi - Mar 09, 2011
- DIAL to again charge development fee at IGI airport - Nov 16, 2011
- Operations at IGI airport normal after aerobridge operators' strike - Apr 13, 2012
- Relief for Delhi fliers as court stays airport fee - Jun 02, 2011
- Delhi airport got Rs.1,199 crore in development fee - Feb 24, 2011
- Operations at IGI airport normal after aerobridge operators' strike (Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- Hyderabad airport handled 8.6 million passengers last year - Apr 12, 2012
- Patel blames heavy fog for flight delays - Dec 27, 2010
- Delhi airport gets third, and India's longest, runway (Lead) - Aug 21, 2008
- Supreme Court quashes airport development fee for Delhi, Mumbai (Second Lead) - Apr 26, 2011
- Flyers may have to pay more for using Delhi airport - Feb 16, 2011
- Gleaming new departure terminal at Delhi airport (Lead) - Feb 26, 2009
- Delhi's new Terminal 3 will have 78 aerobridges, 35 escalators - Jun 22, 2010
- Delhi airport gears to tackle foggy winter - Dec 20, 2011