Delegates swarm Youth Congress meet venueNovember 27th, 2011 - 8:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 27 (IANS) Long queues of participants were seen Sunday at the registration counter of the venue where Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi will inaugurate a two-day Indian Youth Congress (IYC) convention Nov 28.
The convention of elected office bearers of IYC at the Japanese Park in the Rohini neighbourhood of north Delhi could be attended by 8,000 delegates.
The sprawling venue, spread over 4.5 lakh square feet, is swarming with elected office bearers from 20 states and scores of volunteers, who are busy finalising arrangements to ensure a smooth roll out of the convention.
“We are geared up to host our biggest event in the past 10 years,” said a IYC leader.
To feed around 8,000 participants, a large food court covering around 60,000 square feet has been laid out. The meals, to be served by a private caterer, will be a mix of north and south Indian cuisine, said IYC leaders.
Around 26 separate enclosures for men and women have been provided for the participants, with around 400 make-shift toilets and 300 bathrooms, with facility for hot water.
“We chose this venue as it suits a large gathering like this in Delhi,” said an organiser.
The resting enclosures have been named after freedom fighters like Bhagat Singh and Sukhdev and leaders like Lal Bahadur Shastri, Abul Kalam Azad, Subhash Chandra Bose and spiritual leader Vivekananda.
A huge dais has been built in a separate enclosure where Rahul Gandhi and other senior leaders of the party, including some ministers, will address the IYC office bearers.
A separate registration counter to provide identity cards to the office bearers has been set up besides a control room and a security room.
While Delhi Police will provide security at the venue, around 90 private security personnel have been deployed, said an organisers, adding that the entire area would be under CCTV surveillance.
Around 200 volunteers of the IYC would also be pressed into service to oversee the arrangements in the various enclosures.
A private troupe from Mumbai will showcase the 125-year history of the Congress party in a cultural performance Nov 28 evening.
- Rahul to inaugurate Youth Congress show in Delhi - Nov 26, 2011
- PM, Sonia may attend Youth Congress meet - Nov 27, 2011
- Rahul to open mega Youth Congress show in Delhi (Lead) - Nov 26, 2011
- Not all Youth Congress office-bearers are elected - Nov 28, 2011
- Rahul raised fundamental issue of governance: Congress - Nov 29, 2011
- Rahul's changes empowered us: Women Youth Congress workers - Nov 27, 2011
- Rahul calls upon youth to change political system - Nov 28, 2011
- Youth Congress dismisses anti-Rahul statements by former office bearer - Jun 28, 2011
- Rahul becomes part of Congress trinity at Buniyaad (Youth Congress convention sidelights) - Nov 28, 2011
- 24 percent Youth Congress members are women - Nov 28, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi's team performed well, says Youth Congress chief - May 14, 2011
- PM, Sonia vow to bring Lokpal, defend FDI (Roundup) - Nov 29, 2011
- Win people's trust, Rahul exhorts youth Congress leaders - Nov 29, 2011
- End of Youth Congress chapter for Rahul at November meet? - Nov 11, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi dedicates birthday to Uttar Pradesh farmers - Jun 19, 2011
Tags: abul kalam azad, bhagat singh, caterer, dais, delhi police, food court, freedom fighters, iyc, japanese park, lal bahadur shastri, north delhi, private security, rahul gandhi, security personnel, security room, south indian cuisine, spiritual leader, subhash chandra bose, sukhdev, youth congress