Defence modernisation in 2011: What’s done & what’s not (With Defence modernisation: Critical deals materialised, others faced time overruns)December 27th, 2011 - 2:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 27 (IANS) Here’s the lowdown on what India accomplished in its defence modernisation and procurement plans in 2011 and what it could not complete.
What Was Done:
* Deal for 10 Boeing C-17s signed with the US for $4.1 billion.
* Deal for upgrading 51 Mirage-2000 jets signed for $2.4 billion with French manufacturer Dassault.
* Six Lockheed Martin C-130J Super Hercules for special forces operations delivered.
* INS Deepak fleet tanker inducted.
* Order placed with Korean shipyard for eight minesweepers.
* Deal for 80 fast interceptor craft signed with Sri Lanka.
What Wasn’t Done
* Deal for 126 combat planes yet to be signed.
* Deal for 145 M777 ultra-light howitzers still to be signed.
* Deal for 22 attack helicopters still to be clinched.
* Winner of order for 15 heavy-lift helicopters yet to be announced
* Winner of order for 197 light-utility helicopters still be decided.