Defence modernisation in 2011: What’s done & what’s not (With Defence modernisation: Critical deals materialised, others faced time overruns)December 27th, 2011 - 2:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 27 (IANS) Here’s the lowdown on what India accomplished in its defence modernisation and procurement plans in 2011 and what it could not complete.
What Was Done:
* Deal for 10 Boeing C-17s signed with the US for $4.1 billion.
* Deal for upgrading 51 Mirage-2000 jets signed for $2.4 billion with French manufacturer Dassault.
* Six Lockheed Martin C-130J Super Hercules for special forces operations delivered.
* INS Deepak fleet tanker inducted.
* Order placed with Korean shipyard for eight minesweepers.
* Deal for 80 fast interceptor craft signed with Sri Lanka.
What Wasn’t Done
* Deal for 126 combat planes yet to be signed.
* Deal for 145 M777 ultra-light howitzers still to be signed.
* Deal for 22 attack helicopters still to be clinched.
* Winner of order for 15 heavy-lift helicopters yet to be announced
* Winner of order for 197 light-utility helicopters still be decided.
- Defence modernisation: Critical deals materialised, others faced time overruns (2011 in retrospect) - Dec 27, 2011
- India clears biggest deal with US for C-17s at $4.1 bn (Second Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- 17 percent hike in India's defence spending (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- India set to decide major military aircraft deals - Jun 16, 2011
- Boeing says it has hands full with Indian defence deals - Apr 21, 2011
- Cut through red tape to enhance US-India defence cooperation: Panetta - Jun 06, 2012
- Indian Defence Ministry happy with more funds assurance from Pranab - Mar 01, 2011
- Government opens IAF's combat helicopter bid (With images) - Sep 20, 2012
- French bag India's largest defence order for fighter jets (Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- India hikes defence spending by 13 percent (Second Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- IAF will induct its C-17 airlifters from 2013 - Oct 10, 2011
- France's Dassault wins India's $10.4 bn combat jet deal (Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- IAF to soon decide on bidder for Mirage upgrade - Jun 15, 2011
- Antony opens Asia's biggest air show in Bangalore - Feb 09, 2011
- Aerobatic display by fighter jets, copters to be major attraction of Aero India 2011 - Feb 08, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,