Defence ministry gets seven more portraits of war-time heroesSeptember 26th, 2008 - 7:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 26 (IANS) Defence Minister A.K. Antony Friday unveiled the portraits of seven more awardees of the Param Vir Chakra (PVC), India’s highest war-time gallantry award, at the defence ministry’s South Block office here. The portraits mounted Friday include those of Captain Vikram Batra, Lt. Manoj Kumar Pandey, Havildar Sanjay Kumar and Havildar Yogendra Yadav, who received the award for action during the 1999 Kargil conflict in Jammu and Kashmir.
Also joining the high portals was Subedar Major and Honorary Captain Bana Singh, who cleared an enemy intrusion in the Siachen Glacier in June 1987.
Major R. Parameswaran, who died fighting the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam in Sri Lanka in November 1987, and legendary 1971 India-Pakistan war hero Lt. Arun Khetarpal are the other two PVC awardees whose portraits now adorn the elite corridor.
With this, the portraits of all the 21 PVC awardees now grace the walls of the defence ministry.
Minister of State for Defence Production Rao Inderjit Singh, Defence Secretary Vijay Singh and the three services chiefs were among the dignitaries present on the occasion.
Speaking on the occasion, Antony complimented the artist, Aarti Zaveri, who has painted all the seven new portraits.
“Her task was all the more difficult as the portraits had to be reproduced in a style and form similar to the earlier 14 portraits adorning the walls,” a defence ministry statement said.
Zaveri painted the works on a not-for-profit basis.
“It is my humble tribute to the nation’s real heroes and makes me feel I have done my bit for the country,” she said.
- India's first field marshal Sam Manekshaw remembered - Apr 03, 2012
- Indian Army chief-designate conferred medal for distinguished service - Apr 17, 2012
- Commonwealth mascot Shera, MBT Arjun to be 61st Republic Day attractions - Jan 26, 2010
- India's military might and cultural heritage find voice at 61st Republic Day - Jan 26, 2010
- Defence academy chief shifted over recruitment scam - Jul 04, 2012
- Maken requests defence ministry for out-of-turn promotion for Vijay - Aug 08, 2012
- Antony awards Rs.30 lakh to silver medallist Vijay Kumar - Aug 17, 2012
- Letter on army chief my personal opinion: Amarinder - Jan 03, 2012
- Three Shaurya Chakras among I-Day gallantry awards - Aug 15, 2011
- Young Lieutenant wins Ashok Chakra posthumously - Jan 26, 2012
- Indian defence minister leaves for Saudi Arabia - Feb 13, 2012
- Soldiers are heroes for Gen Next: Dikshit - Oct 26, 2009
- 3 Kirti Chakras among defence medals conferred by president - Apr 19, 2011
- Army chief meets Rajasthan chief minister - Aug 01, 2012
- Be vigilant on Sino-Indian border, Antony tells troops - Feb 18, 2011