Defence minister hails indigenous combat jetFebruary 11th, 2009 - 6:49 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Feb 11 (IANS) The star attraction at the inauguration of the Aero India international air show here Wednesday was a breathtaking series of aerial manoeuvres by the indigenous Tejas light combat aircraft (LCA).
While Tejas has flown at previous editions of the air show, this was the first time it displayed its prowess in aerobatics.
Defence minister A.K. Antony hailed the success of the Tejas, which translates into “brilliance”.
“I am excited to see the LCA flying in the Indian skies. This is the most exciting day as far as I am concerned,” an elated defence minister told reporters here.
“For the last 10 years people have been making noise about the project. But LCA and MBT (main battle tank Arjun) have become reality,” he said.
The two projects - LCA and MBT Arjun - have been marked by considerable delays with the latter dragging on for the last 36 years.
“I am delighted that we have seen light at the end of the tunnel. The products will be inducted in the services soon,” Antony added.
Besides the Tejas, the indigenous Dhruv advanced light helicopter (ALH) and the Saras transport aircraft were also put on display at the event.
- Aerobatic stunts, flying thrills mark AeroIndia finale - Feb 13, 2011
- Dazzling fly-past, daring aerobatics mark Aero India launch (Lead) - Feb 09, 2011
- South Asia's largest aero show takes off Wednesday - Feb 08, 2011
- India's Tejas, light combat helicopter dazzle participants at Aero India - Feb 09, 2011
- Antony opens Asia's biggest air show in Bangalore - Feb 09, 2011
- IAF wants more improvements in Tejas: Antony - Feb 07, 2011
- India striving to prevent Mumbai-style terror strike: Antony (Roundup) - Feb 11, 2009
- Advanced version of indigenous combat jet by 2015 - Feb 09, 2011
- Thousands flock in as air show opens to public - Feb 12, 2011
- Defence panel approves LCA for Indian Navy - Feb 27, 2012
- Nation gets set to celebrate 61st Republic Day - Jan 25, 2011
- India to develop new aerospace products for security needs - Feb 07, 2011
- HAL sales growth dips in fiscal 2011-12 - Apr 01, 2012
- India test-flies naval version of LCA - Apr 27, 2012
- India to flaunt indigenous fighter at aero show - Feb 07, 2011