Defence land scam: CBI raids in Srinagar, Jammu, PatnaMay 11th, 2012 - 2:59 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar/New Delhi, May 11 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Friday conducted simultaneous search operations in Srinagar, Jammu and Patna as part of its probe into a Rs.1,500 crore defence land scandal in Jammu and Kashmir.
CBI spokesperson Dharini Mishra said the raids were conducted to “collect evidences” after the agency registered a new case recently related to the defence land in Srinagar that was given “irregularly to private persons”.
Mishra said the searches were conducted at the homes of a defence estate officer who is accused of having given no-objection certificates for transfer of the land. She, however, did not identify the accused officer.
Sources in Srinagar said the official under the scanner is a 1997 batch defence estates officer (DEO) who had allowed some private influential people to buy and build on the sprawling 200 acres near the high-security Indian Air Force station and 15 Corps headquarters of the Indian Army in Srinagar.
The scam surfaced last year after an internal inquiry by the defence ministry found that some civilians were allowed to buy the land.
The defence ministry probe said the cost of the land could be between Rs.1,200 crore and Rs.1,500 crore. Over 70 certificates issued since 2007 are being scrutinised now.
Sources said the certificates reveal that the defence ministry had never acquired the land. However, defence estate records show that the land was bought in the 1960s for security installations.
- About 200 acres of Srinagar air base land grabbed, says BJP - Sep 03, 2011
- CBI probes Srinagar air force land scam - Nov 23, 2011
- Scams that rocked defence ministry since 2007 [To go with 'Bribe offer shocked me out of wits: Army chief (Lead)'] - Mar 26, 2012
- CBI searches bureaucrat's house in graft case - Nov 26, 2011
- Defence land grab a security issue, says IAF chief - Oct 03, 2011
- No guilty will be spared in land scams, says Pallam Raju - Jan 18, 2011
- 2G: Raids at Airtel, Vodafone offices after CBI files new case (Second Lead) - Nov 19, 2011
- CBI raids houses, offices of former defence officials, builder - Jan 31, 2012
- Adarsh scam: 'Guilty will not be spared', says Antony - Dec 15, 2010
- More skeletons may tumble out of CWG closet (Year after CWG) - Sep 29, 2011
- CBI files cases against former Lt.Gen, defence official - Feb 01, 2012
- Defence ministry launches land audit to curb scams - May 05, 2011
- BJP in Congress line of fire over Kushwaha as CBI raids premises (Fourth Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Political war erupts as CBI raids Kushwaha's premises (Roundup) - Jan 04, 2012
- CBI's swanky new office has gym, cafeteria (With images) - Apr 30, 2011
Tags: cbi raids, central bureau of investigation, corps headquarters, defence estates, defence ministry, deo, evidences, high security, indian air force, indian army, internal inquiry, jammu and kashmir, land scam, mishra, new case, private persons, rs 1, search operations, security installations, simultaneous search