Defence academy job scam: CBI arrests another accused (Lead)July 2nd, 2012 - 11:00 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai/Pune, July 2 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has arrested another army officer in connection with a multi-crore rupee civilian recruitment scam in the National Defence Academy (NDA), Pune, an official said here Monday.
The accused was identified Col. A.K. Singh, physical training officer and presiding officer of the board of NDA for recruitments, the official said.
The CBI earlier arrested six accused in the Rs.1.76 crore recruitment scam in the NDA last month and raided 17 locations in Mumbai, Sonepat and Gurgaon in Haryana and 14 in Pune, including the NDA.
According to the CBI, the accused were involved in a scam linked to lower level appointments like gardeners, cooks, clerks, cadet orderlies and lab and library attendants in May-June.
Col. A.K. Singh had sought anticipatory bail from a CBI special court in Pune and was granted interim relief till June 29.
The CBI moved an application in court following which the anticipatory bail was cancelled and he was placed under arrest. He will be presented before the court Tuesday.
Meanwhile, the probe agency carried out searches at his ancestral house and the residence of his in-laws in Purnia and Saharsa districts in Bihar.
The six other accused, including an army officer, were presented before the court after their remand ended Monday.
Col. Kulbir Singh, Balkishan Kanojia, Vishnu Prasad Sharma and Ramesh Gaikwad - were remanded to further custody till July 5. Two others - Manoj Shitkal and Dattatray Shitkal - were granted bail.
The NDA said it had not received any complaints on any abnormality in the recruitment but it was inquiring into the chain of events.
They accused have been charged with taking money ranging from Rs.300,000 to Rs.400,000 from those who applied for the jobs.
The signatures of the applicants were taken on blank exam papers, which they filled up with correct answers to make them eligible for appointments.
- NDA recruitment scam: Army officer among 6 held (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Defence academy chief shifted over recruitment scam (Lead) - Jul 04, 2012
- Defence academy job scam: CBI arrests another accused - Jul 02, 2012
- NDA staffers arrested for recruitment scam - Jun 24, 2012
- Excise official's anticipatory bail plea dismissed - Jan 13, 2012
- Court refuses relief to Uttar Pradesh scam accused - Apr 04, 2012
- Kalmadi aide's CBI custody extended (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- CBI court grants Punjab speaker interim bail - Aug 17, 2010
- Yeddyurappa, kin get anticipatory bail in bribery case (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Two accused apply for bail in Adarsh Society scam - Jun 04, 2012
- Abhishek Verma, wife granted bail, arrested afresh - Aug 08, 2012
- Provident fund scam accused judges get bail - Apr 01, 2011
- 2G scam: Bail pleas of five corporate honchos rejected (Lead) - May 23, 2011
- Medical scam accused sent to CBI custody - Jan 06, 2012
- Court reserves order on Raja's bail plea (Lead) - May 11, 2012
Tags: abnormality, army officer, cbi, central bureau of investigation, correct answers, crore, gurgaon, haryana, interim relief, level appointments, national defence academy, nda, orderlies, presiding officer, pune, purnia, ramesh, remand, sonepat, vishnu prasad