Defeat no tragedy, it’s just a match: NadalJune 29th, 2012 - 6:15 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 29 (IANS/RIA Novosti) French Open champion Rafael Nadal was philosophical about his shock second-round defeat to 100th-ranked Czech Lukas Rosol at the Wimbledon.
The Spanish second seed looked to have fought his way back into the match, cruising to the fourth set after taking the first and surprisingly dropping the next two. But Rosol rallied and won a dramatic decider to record a 6-7 (11), 6-4, 6-4, 2-6, 6-4 victory.
Nadal, a two-time Wimbledon champion, had nothing but praise for the exceptional performance of his opponent in the fifth set, but added his poor play was a factor in the final result.
“Nothing to do in the fifth set. He played more than unbelievably. But before, in the first three sets, I didn’t play well,” Nadal said.
But Nadal appeared anything but devastated by the result.
“That’s not a tragedy; it’s just a tennis match. Last four months were great for me, probably the best months in my career playing unbelievable in the clay court season. The only thing I can do is go back home and rest, I need and deserve it.” Nadal said.
In the next round, Lukas Rosol will face 27th seed Philipp Kohlschreiber of Germany.
- Unsung Czech Lukas Rosol stuns Nadal (Lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- Little-known Czech Rosol stuns Nadal at Wimbledon - Jun 29, 2012
- Wimbledon: Sharapova reaches third round - Jun 28, 2012
- Wimbledon: Del Potro sinks Nishikori - Jul 01, 2012
- Knee injury sidelines Nadal for two months - Sep 03, 2012
- US Open: Azarenka, Stosur to meet in quarters - Sep 03, 2012
- Pennetta crashes out at Wimbledon - Jun 25, 2012
- Schiavone fights back to oust Robson (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Wimbledon: Errani thrashed by record-breaker Shvedova - Jun 30, 2012
- Safarova crashes out at Wimbledon - Jun 26, 2012
- Venus, Baghdatis continue Olympic charge - Jul 31, 2012
- Wimbledon: Venus Williams crashes out, Djokovic advances (Second Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Australian Open: Federer, Nadal cruise into quarters - Jan 22, 2012
- US Open, Day 2: Wozniacki out, Djokovic in second round (Roundup) - Aug 29, 2012
- Federer, Nadal in Australian Open quarters (Roundup) - Jan 22, 2012
Tags: clay court, decider, final result, four months, french open, french open champion, germany, june 29, london, lukas rosol, opponent, philipp kohlschreiber, rafael nadal, ria novosti, shock, tennis match, tragedy, victory, wimbledon, wimbledon champion