Defacing of Bhujbal’s portrait sparks violence in NashikJune 1st, 2008 - 8:39 pm ICT by admin
Nashik (Maharashtra), June 1 (IANS) Defacing of Maharashtra Minister Chhagan Bhujbal’s portrait sparked violent protests in many areas of this city Sunday with workers of his Akhil Bharatiya Samata Parishad taking to the streets and indulging in stone pelting. Followers of Bhujbal, a senior Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader and the state’s public works minister, staged angry demonstrations on the Nashik Road, holding up vehicular traffic after his portrait and a Samata Parishad banner were found plastered with cow dung in the Datta Choufuli area, the police said.
But while the police managed to pacify the protesters by registering their complaint against unideintified persons, hordes of other Samata Parishad and NCP activists stopped state transport buses, threw stones at cars and burnt tyres on the roads in the Mumbai Naka and Dwarka Gate areas.
With Bhujbal out of the country and no local party leader coming out to rein in the frenzied workers, the police had a tough time bringing the situation under control.
The police control room said in the evening that normalcy has returned in the city.
- Three MNS legislators suspended from Maharashtra assembly - Dec 13, 2011
- Pawar supporters protest across Maharashtra - Nov 24, 2011
- Maharashtra politicians condemn Pawar attack - Nov 24, 2011
- Ajit Pawar will be Maharashtra deputy chief minister - Nov 10, 2010
- ACB to probe graft allegations against Bhujbal - Sep 18, 2012
- Jostling for cabinet berths in Mumbai ahead of swearing-in - Nov 11, 2010
- Ajit Pawar to be new Maharashtra deputy chief minister (Lead) - Nov 10, 2010
- Anna supporters booked for defacement - Jul 31, 2012
- ACB seeks nod to probe Bhujbal for Maharashtra Sadan irregularities - Sep 13, 2012
- Senior district official set afire by petrol mafia (Second Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- New roads, bridges for Maharashtra's Maoist-hit Gadchiroli - Jun 11, 2012
- Burning of Malegaon official to be probed; compensation announced - Jan 26, 2011
- Bhujbal trust's building to be probed - Apr 06, 2012
- Four nabbed for setting on fire raiding senior officer (Third Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- Ajit Pawar is Maharashtra deputy chief minister (Second Lead) - Nov 10, 2010