Deepika Padukone to be Grand Marshal at India Day Parade in New YorkJune 11th, 2008 - 12:16 pm ICT by IANS
New York, June 11 (IANS) Deepika Padukone, who stormed Bollywood with her debut film “Om Shanti Om” last year, is to lead the 28th India Day Parade here as Grand Marshal Aug 17 to celebrate India’s 61st Independence Day. The parade, organised every year by the Federation of Indian Associations (FIA), moves down Madison Avenue in Manhattan, culminating at a venue where cultural and entertainment programmes are held.
The parade attracts around 50,000 people, making it the biggest such event outside India.
Announcing details of the parade, FIA President Yash Paul Soi said at a kick-off meeting Tuesday at the Indian consulate here that former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam has also been invited.
Bollywood actress Priyanka Chopra was the Grand Marshal last year and Indian American astronaut Sunita Williams the Guest of Honour.
FIA has started campaigning to have Mahatma Gandhi’s statues erected at the United Nations in Manhattan and Liberty State Park in New Jersey. It has written to New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine and UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon seeking permissions.
Set up in 1981, FIA is a large, influential umbrella organisation of the Indian American community in the Tri-State area of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. The objective of its annual India Day Parade is to project Indian Americans’ progress and unity with other communities.
- India Day Parade fills New York with its sights, sounds and stars - Aug 20, 2012
- Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty wows fans at India Day Parade and Festival in New York - Aug 17, 2009
- Indian-Americans celebrate I-day while Sunita greets from space (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Indian Americans celebrate I-Day with colourful parades - Aug 15, 2012
- Vinod Khanna leads Long Island's first India Day Parade (With images) - Aug 13, 2012
- Five Indian Americans to be honoured at health summit - Nov 08, 2010
- Indians in US celebrate a rainy Independence Day - Aug 16, 2010
- Indian Americans rally in Hazare's support - Aug 22, 2011
- US must observe protocol for Indian dignitaries: Krishna - Nov 14, 2011
- Hurricane Irene slams US, millions brace for storm's fury (Lead) - Aug 27, 2011
- US East Coast braces for monstrous hurricane - Aug 26, 2011
- Kalam downplays frisking incident in US - Nov 14, 2011
- SRK's detention at US airport inappropriate: Rajiv Shukla - Apr 13, 2012
- Kalam's e-paper 'billion beats' now on Facebook - Jul 11, 2012
- 13 dead, 1.6 mn without power after freak snowstorm in US (Lead) - Nov 01, 2011
Tags: abdul kalam, actress priyanka, american astronaut, astronaut sunita williams, ban ki moon, debut film, deepika padukone, governor jon corzine, grand marshal, guest of honour, india day parade in new york, indian associations, indian consulate, jon corzine, liberty state park, mahatma gandhi, new jersey governor jon corzine, tri state area, umbrella organisation, un secretary general