Deco backs Scolari, confident Chelsea will be league championsJanuary 1st, 2009 - 9:28 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 1 (IANS) Chelsea’s Portuguese football star Deco Wednesday played down rumblings in the English Premier League club and said he saw only good times ahead in the new year at Stamford Bridge.Coming to the resuce of his beleaguered manager Luiz Felipe Scolari, who is under fire for the poor recent form of his team, winning only one of their last four matches, drawing the other three as they bade farewell to the old year.
Deco, who enjoys favoured status at the West London club, is confident that Chelsea will overhaul Liverpool’s three-point lead League by the close of the season in May.
He said Chelsea have not been at their best in the last few matches and missed some chances to be at the top of the table. “But by the end of the season we will finish as champions as the most crucial phase of the championship is from now on.”
As for Scolari, Deco said he has not changed, he is still a strong man and is the same coach as he was at the start of the season, when everyone was praising him.
Chelsea have lost only four of their 28 matches in all competitions this season. They were defeated by Liverpool and Arsenal in the Premier League and Roma in the Champions League. Although they drew 1-1 with Burnley in their Carling Cup fourth-round tie in November, they lost the penalty shoot-out 5-4.
Reports, though, have suggested that Scolari is struggling to maintain harmony among the players who are strong, diverse and vocal. It has been cited as a major reason for the team’s below par performance of late.
After the 2-2 draw against Fulham at Craven Cottage Sunday, the Chelsea players were given Monday off. They returned to their training ground in Cobham, Surrey, the next day to prepare for their FA Cup third-round tie at home to Southend United Saturday.
- Liverpool midfielder Lucas ruled out for season - Dec 02, 2011
- Chelsea boss hints at summer overhaul - Feb 18, 2012
- Leeds rewarded with trip to Spurs - Jan 04, 2010
- Ancelotti admits of being under pressure following Chelsea's FA Cup exit - Feb 20, 2011
- Won't play for another English club: Drogba - May 23, 2012
- Dynamo drawn against Stuttgart in Europa League playoffs - Aug 10, 2012
- Premier League agree to change fixtures for FA Cup final - Feb 03, 2012
- QPR's Ferdinand gets a bullet by post - Jan 28, 2012
- Banned defender Bromby to join fans for United clash - Dec 31, 2009
- Mourinho may return to UK Premier League in 2012 - Mar 12, 2011
- Stoke's Wilkinson banned for three matches - Sep 21, 2012
- Giggs warns Man U teammates to shape up fast or face dire consequences - Sep 16, 2010
- Champions League: Milan draw Barca, Chelsea face Benfica - Mar 16, 2012
- Former Real Madrid coach leads Gremio into top four - Jun 25, 2012
- Olympics: Chinese paddler Zhang says first match crucial - Jul 27, 2012