Declining sex ratio, cause for worry: KamatMarch 17th, 2011 - 9:06 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, March 17 (IANS) Goa’s declining sex ratio is a major cause for concern for the state government, Chief Minister Digambar Kamat said Thursday unveiling several schemes to arrest the trend in his budget speech.
Kamat Thursday said the sex ratio had dipped to an all time low of 1,000:961 and it needed a multi-pronged corrective strategy to resolve the crisis early.
“We are ‘incentivising’ the mother with financial assistance immediately on the delivery of a girl child, provided it is not her third child. Once a girl child is born, a fixed deposit will be automatically opened in her name with a specified amount,” Kamat said.
He further said that under the new scheme, girl children would also be given free school uniforms, text books and educational aid as further incentives.
“A financial incentive of Rs.5,000 will also be provided to the mother soon after delivery of the child so that her post-delivery nutritional requirements are taken care of,” he said, adding that a provision of Rs.5.50 crore had been made in the budget.
- Goa looks to Kolhapur scheme to improve sex ratio - Jun 01, 2011
- Goa to give Rs,25,000 for every girl child - Aug 08, 2011
- Need to change attitude towards girl child: Tirath - Jan 24, 2012
- Haryana raises monthly aid to daughters-only parents - Jul 07, 2011
- Though India's worst, Haryana's sex ratio is best in 110 years - Apr 10, 2011
- Himachal Pradesh to spend more on health - Mar 21, 2012
- Goa to give women Rs.1 lakh for wedding expenses - Jul 06, 2012
- Expansive health insurance announced for Goan families - Dec 17, 2010
- Haryana extends incentive for girl child by five years - Jan 23, 2010
- Declining child sex ratio matter of concern: Tirath - Mar 31, 2011
- Goa to focus on sex ratio - Dec 06, 2011
- Even rich, educated abort second girl child, shows study - May 23, 2011
- Goa's pro-women flagship scheme hits rough weather - Jul 26, 2012
- Woman arrested for killing daughter - Jan 07, 2012
- Orient policies for women, NAC tells government - May 29, 2012
Tags: budget speech, chief minister, crore, educational aid, financial assistance, financial incentive, fixed deposit, girl child, girl children, goa, incentives, march 17, panaji, provision, school uniforms, sex ratio, state government, text books, third child, worry