Declare killer disease an epidemic, says BiharJune 11th, 2012 - 11:05 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, June 11 (IANS) Bihar has urged the central government to declare a mysterious disease that has killed 102 children an epidemic, Health Minister Ashwani Kumar Choubey said Monday.
Following the deaths of children in Muzaffarpur, Gaya and Patna districts in the past fortnight, Choubey said the state government wanted the central government’s intervention.
“It is now urgent to declare it an epidemic. The state will approach the central government for this,” Choubey told the media here.
He earlier chaired a meeting of health officials and doctors called by the Bihar unit of the Indian Medical Association.
Eighteen more children died in Muzaffarpur in the last 24 hours, taking the toll to 57 in the district. Ten children have died in Gaya.
Besides, 35 children have died in the Patna Medical College and Hospital(PMCH) in the past 15 days.
Sanjata Choudhary, head of the department of paediatric in PMCH, said 80 children suffering from the disease were admitted to the hospital.
For the first time since the reports of deaths appeared, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar Monday said it was a big challenge that a brain fever like disease had claimed the lives of so many children in the state.
Choubey said the government expected the central government to help check and control the mysterious disease.
Some doctors and health officials have reportedly said the children were showing symptoms similar to encephalitis.
Last year, encephalitis, a mosquito-borne disease, claimed nearly 150 lives in Muzaffarpur and Gaya districts.
- 73 kids die of 'mysterious' disease in Bihar - Jun 08, 2012
- Bihar's mystery disease is acute encephalitis syndrome: minister - Jun 12, 2012
- Encephalitis claims 9 more lives in Bihar, toll now 159 - Jun 16, 2012
- Bihar seeks central help on mysterious disease - Jun 09, 2012
- Encephalitis kills four more in Bihar, toll 204 - Jun 19, 2012
- Encephalitis kills 7 more in Bihar, death toll 150 (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Mysterious disease toll is 36 in Bihar - Jun 07, 2012
- Mysterious disease toll is 31 in Bihar - Jun 06, 2012
- Bihar, Uttar Pradesh battle to contain deadly encephalitis outbreak (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- Encephalitis kills 4 more in Bihar, toll mounts to 147 - Jun 15, 2012
- Bihar to give Rs 50,000 for encephalitis victims - Jun 13, 2012
- Encephalitis claims five more lives in Bihar, toll 230 - Jun 24, 2012
- Killer disease is not Japanese encephalitis - Jun 28, 2012
- Four more kids die of suspected encephalitis in Bihar - Jun 05, 2012
- WHO experts investigate Bihar's mystery disease - Jun 24, 2011
Tags: brain fever, central government, chief minister, deaths, doctors, encephalitis, epidemic, fortnight, gaya, health minister, health officials, indian medical association, killer disease, medical college, mosquito, mosquito borne disease, mysterious disease, paediatric, pmch, state government