Decision on vice president later: MamataJuly 17th, 2012 - 8:54 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 17 (IANS) West Bengal Chief Minister and Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee Tuesday announced her party would not contest the vice presidential poll and instead consider Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s plea to support Hamid Ansari for the post.
“The issue of vice president will be decided later on, as there is still time. We are not contesting. Krishna Bose would have been a good choice. But for the greater interest, we are not contesting. Even the prime minister requested me to support Ansariji. So we will decide it later,” Banerjee told reporters here.
Vice President Ansari was Saturday renominated by the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) as its candidate, but Trinamool Congress did not concur with the alliance’s choice, clouding the possibility of his unanimous re-election, as the BJP pushed for a contest.
Home Minister P. Chidambaram later described Ansari’s choice as “unanimous”, though Trinamool Congress leader Mukul Roy said the party had suggested names of Gopalkrishna Gandhi, a former West Bengal governor and Bose, a former parliamentarian and wife of Sishir Bose, Netaji Subash Chandra Bose’s nephew.
But Gandhi declined to contest.
- UPA renominates Ansari for vice president; Trinamool does not concur (Second Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- PM calls Mamata to seek support for Ansari - Jul 15, 2012
- Former Bengal governor thanks Mamata for mooting his name - Jul 16, 2012
- Vice president poll: UPA renominates Ansari, BJP bracing for contest (Roundup) - Jul 15, 2012
- Dhumal reaches out to Mamata on vice presidential poll - Jul 15, 2012
- NDA to finalise nominee for vice president Monday - Jul 16, 2012
- Would desperate Mamata be able to save face in another battle? (West Bengal newsletter) - Jul 14, 2012
- I accept re-nomination with all humility, says Ansari - Jul 14, 2012
- NDA to finalise vice presidential nominee Monday - Jul 15, 2012
- Left yet to take a call on presidential polls: Biman Bose - Jun 14, 2012
- Mamata government to give civic reception to president - Aug 23, 2012
- President polls: Congress hopes for Mamata's support - May 03, 2012
- Could Mulayam be persuaded to accept Pranab as president? - Jun 14, 2012
- Presidential poll: Mamata meets Sonia as Congress seeks UPA consensus (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- Speculation on Pranab's candidature grows after Bengal leader's pitch (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
Tags: ansari, bjp, chief minister, congress leader, gandhi, home minister, kolkata, mamata banerjee, manmohan, manmohan singh, mukul, parliamentarian, presidential poll, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, subash chandra bose, trinamool congress, UPA, west bengal