Decision next week on CBI probe in Goa drug nexus caseMarch 17th, 2011 - 6:31 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, March 17 (IANS) The union ministry of personnel will next week decide whether to hand over the police-politician-drug mafia nexus probe to the CBI, a central government counsel told the Bombay High Court here Thursday.
Justice S.C. Dharmadhikari and Justice F.M. Reis earlier said they might have to summon the union personnel secretary to know of the central ministry’s opinion on the drug nexus probe case. Then central government counsel Sandeep Amonkar assured the court that the final decision on handing over the probe to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) would be taken on Tuesday.
The court was hearing a public interest litigation filed by student leader Sunil Kavthankar, who has demanded a CBI probe into the drug nexus case, in which police crime branch officials have been accused of sabotaging investigations.
The high court had expressed dissatisfaction at the central government delay in deciding on the investigation in the drug nexus case, in which the international media and the opposition have named state Home Minister Ravi Naik’s son.
Three separate criminal complaints have already been filed against two Israeli drug dealers, namely David Driham alias Dudu and Yaniv Benaim alias Atala, and several police officials.
State Advocate General Subodh Kantak said the state government only wanted two of these cases involving Atala and the police officials to be handed over to the CBI because charge sheets have already been filed in the case against Dudu.
Reacting to Kantak’s submission, petitioner Sunil Kavthankar said the state government was trying to protect the drug dealer.
“All the three cases are inter-related. The state government is trying to protect Dudu because in his confessional statement, he has named a lot of police and politicians who are a part of the drug nexus,” said Kavthankar. He is the president of the National Students Union of India (NSUI), which is a frontal organisation of the Congress party.
- Will probe Goa drug nexus: CBI to high court - Apr 05, 2011
- High court issues notices in Goa drug nexus probe case - Jan 18, 2011
- Central government needs time to study Goa drug nexus, court told - Mar 10, 2011
- CBI points to links between Goa Police, drug mafia - Oct 01, 2011
- Plea for CBI probe into Goa's cops-politician-drug nexus (Lead) - Jan 14, 2011
- Cop held in Goa drug nexus case - Oct 07, 2011
- CBI can't probe Goa drug nexus, high court told - Mar 22, 2011
- CBI questions Goa NSUI chief in drug nexus case - Sep 15, 2011
- Goa government under fire for awarding 'drug cop' - Dec 21, 2010
- BJP demands CBI probe into Goa drug nexus - Jul 16, 2010
- Goa officer sold drugs from police warehouse, CBI told - Feb 04, 2011
- CBI yet to take up drug nexus cases in Goa - Jun 03, 2011
- Goa drug nexus: Arunachal police officer may be summoned - Jan 20, 2011
- Goa Police 'ashamed' of planting drugs on Israeli - Aug 15, 2012
- Goa cop held for links to drug mafia gets bail - Jun 02, 2010
Tags: advocate general, atala, benaim, bombay high court, branch officials, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, charge sheets, confessional statement, crime branch, criminal complaints, government counsel, ministry of personnel, national students, personnel secretary, public interest litigation, ravi naik, state advocate, union ministry, yaniv