Decide Jammu and Kashmir poll dates on basis of situation: Omar AbdullahOctober 16th, 2008 - 7:02 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Oct 16 (IANS) “We want the Election Commission to take a decision on the poll dates in Jammu and Kashmir on the basis of the situation” in the state, National Conference president Omar Abdullah said here Thursday, adding “we are ready to face the people any time”.”We want the Election Commission to take a decision on the basis of the situation,” Abdullah told party workers here Thursday.
He said that it was for the Election Commission to decide when to hold elections in Jammu and Kashmir. “As a political party, we are ready to face the people any time.”
He said the situation on the ground should be taken into account while making this decision.
Chief Election Commissioner N. Gopalaswami Tuesday had announced the election schedule for five states. But he had said that “no decision has been taken about Jammu and Kashmir”.
“The situation is being assessed,” Gopalaswami had said.
- Don't speculate over Kashmir custodial death: Congress - Oct 06, 2011
- Omar in Baramulla to assess fallout of CISF firing - Jan 03, 2012
- Omar not quitting, says Farooq after meeting Sonia, PM (Lead) - Sep 16, 2010
- Air India strike cruel joke on tax payers: Omar - May 08, 2012
- Omar says he has apprehensions over Guru's execution - Aug 18, 2011
- Jammu and Kashmir cabinet meets in remote LoC village - Sep 12, 2012
- Heat, power cuts and politics in Jammu (Letter from Jammu) - Jun 06, 2012
- Farooq backs 'boss' Omar on AFSPA - Nov 17, 2011
- BJP protesters being removed, may be detained (Second Lead) - Jan 24, 2011
- Omar for denotifying disturbed areas in Kashmir - Dec 02, 2011
- I was destined to become chief minister: Omar - Jan 05, 2012
- Congress Core Group meets to discuss Kashmir crisis - Sep 10, 2010
- Farooq denies bribery allegations - Oct 06, 2011
- Chidambaram to visit mountainous areas near Jammu - Jan 31, 2011
- Unease in Kashmir coalition ahead of meet - Jul 21, 2011