Deccan Chargers hope to end losing streak against DaredevilsApril 18th, 2012 - 7:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 18 (IANS) Yet to taste a win in the fifth season of the Indian Premier League (IPL), Deccan Chargers will be looking to end their three-match losing streak when they face an in-form Delhi Daredevils at the Ferozeshah Kotla here Thursday evening.
Deccan Chargers, 2009 champions, have been a touch unlucky, losing twice in the final overs of the game. They were thrashed by 74 runs in their first match by Chennai Super Kings at home.
Deccan Chargers, however, came back strongly in the next match only to be thwarted by a brilliant innings from Rohit Sharma, who plundered Australian Daniel Christian for 18 runs in the last over to give Mumbai Indians a thrilling win in a last-ball finish.
After an eight-day gap, Deccan Chargers returned to the tournament with a bang scoring a mammoth 196 for two in their match against the 2008 champions Rajasthan Royals. But late heroics by Australian import Brad Hodge yet again denied the Chargers another win as they slumped to their third straight loss in the tournament.
While Deccan Chargers batsmen have improved as the tournament has progressed, their bowling attack has failed to fire together. South African fast bowler Dale Steyn remains their best bowler but he hasn’t got much support from the other end.
Deccan Chargers coach Derren Lehman admitted that his bowlers have been disappointing.
“We have done badly in the last two-three overs while defending the total. It is an area of concern and I hope our bowlers will only improve,” said Lehman at the Ferozeshah Kotla here Wednesday.
Meanwhile, a strong Delhi Daredevils team were further strengthened by the return of New Zealand captain Ross Taylor from injury. With the likes of Virender Sehwag, Kevin Pietersen and Mahela Jayawardene in team, the Daredevils are easily one of the strongest batting line-ups in the tournament and they are sitting comfortably in the second position with three wins from four matches.
They also have one of the best pace attack in Morne Morkel, Umesh Yadav, Irfan Pathan and Ajit Agarkar and it makes them one of the title contenders.
Daredevils, who missed the services of Pietersen and Jayawardene in their first two matches, shocked a strong Kolkata Kinght Riders team at Eden Gardens in their first match but lost their second to Royal Challengers Bangalore.
Delhi thrashed defending champions Chennai Super Kings by eight wickets and then went on to record another convincing victory over the mighty Mumbai Indians.
- Daredevils hope to extend their winning streak against Warriors - Apr 20, 2012
- KP, Jayawardene will boost Daredevils: Sehwag - Apr 09, 2012
- Daredevils blown away by Gayle storm, hopes alive for Royal Challengers (Lead) - May 18, 2012
- New captains will bring fresh ideas in IPL-4 - Apr 07, 2011
- Hussey, Gurkeerat keep Kings XI in playoff hunt (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Deccan Chargers opt to bat against Delhi Daredevils - Apr 19, 2012
- Daredevils start IPL home run with big win over Super Kings (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Delhi Daredevils beat Super Kings by eight wickets - Apr 11, 2012
- Daredevils beat Kings XI to march into IPL play-offs (Lead) - May 16, 2012
- Daredevils aim to again top the table (Preview) - May 09, 2012
- Super Kings to start IPL title defence against Mumbai Indians - Jan 06, 2012
- We need to play well against Daredevils: Hussey - May 14, 2012
- Super Kings snap Jadeja for $2 m, Vinay Kumar goes for $1 m(Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- Daredevils elect to field against Super Kings - Apr 10, 2012
- Pressure on Super Kings (Preview) - May 11, 2012
Tags: australian import, bowlers, captain ross, chargers, dale steyn, daredevils, day gap, fifth season, heroics, ipl, jayawardene, kevin pietersen, kotla, lehman, line ups, losing streak, ross taylor, straight loss, virender sehwag, zealand captain