Debt-ridden builder kills wife, daughter; attempts suicideSeptember 4th, 2008 - 10:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 4 (IANS) A builder unable to repay huge debts Thursday strangled his wife and daughter to death before attempting suicide by slashing his wrist with a blade in his home in south Delhi, the police said.The police found Sayeed Mohammed Abbas, 38, his wife Neelam, 35, and their two-and-a-half-year-old daughter Zenum lying on the bed in their rented, first-floor house in Maharani Bagh area in the afternoon.
The police had to break open the door to enter the house after the family’s driver-cum-cleaner Santosh reported that his employer was not responding to his calls despite several knocks on the door.
Santosh said the air-conditioner was on inside, which aroused further suspicion of something being wrong in the house.
The police said Neelam and Zenum were found dead and their bodies were sent for the post-mortem examination. Abbas was rushed to the Trauma Centre of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), where doctors performed a surgery on his hand. His condition remained critical till late in the evening.
Abbas, who was from Aligarh, had married Neelam, a Hindu from Ghaziabad, three years ago. The police said it was an inter-religion marriage and the couple was living in the rented house for the past 10 months.
“When we reached home, we found three of them on the bed. Abbas’ hand was bleeding profusely while his wife and daughter were dead. Initial investigations suggest that Abbas gave sleeping pills to his wife and daughter and then strangled them to death,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police (South Delhi) H.G.S. Dhaliwal.
“Abbas then probably cut open his wrist to commit suicide,” he added.
The police have recovered some sleeping pills, a shaving blade and three suicide notes from the bedroom.
In his first letter, Abbas asked his business partner Anupam to apologise on his behalf to people from whom he had taken huge loans. The two partners have a office in Sector 18 of Noida.
In his letter to the police, Abbas accused Rajesh and Sanjeev, from whom he had taken loans, of giving life threats to his family after he had shown his inability to pay back the loan money.
Neelam in her letter said that her body was to be handed over to Akbar Bhai. She also wished that her funeral to be carried out as per the Muslim rituals.
The police said Abbas was in huge debts and even the cheques of Rs.65,000 he had given as rent money to his landlord Ravi Aggarwal, who lives on the ground floor of the same building, had bounced twice.
- Five people commit suicide in Delhi - Oct 07, 2011
- Delhi builder held for attempting suicide; killing wife, daughter - Sep 17, 2008
- Army man detained over three deaths in family - Jul 24, 2012
- Woman, granddaughter found strangled in Delhi - Apr 02, 2011
- Delhi property dealer attempts suicide - May 02, 2012
- Four of family attempt suicide in Jharkhand - Mar 24, 2011
- Mother kills daughter, commits suicide - Jul 04, 2011
- Man dreams of getting murdered, kills family, self (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Man strangles landlord's two kids - Nov 22, 2011
- Wife murdered by husband on wedding anniversary - Feb 27, 2011
- Man 'tricks' girlfriend into committing suicide - Apr 18, 2011
- Delhi college student jumps to death in hospital - Jan 05, 2012
- College student jumps to death in Delhi hospital (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Nepali father drowns daughters - Aug 12, 2011
- Police meet Vidarbha widow who sought Sonia's help - Oct 08, 2011