Death toll reaches 69 in Delhi building collapseNovember 18th, 2010 - 2:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 18 (IANS) Three more bodies have been recovered from the debris of a collapsed building in east Delhi, taking the death toll in the tragedy three days ago to 69, officials said Thursday. Rescue work has resumed after a spell of rain slowed down operations.
“The rescue operations resumed after heavy rains. Three more bodies were pulled out Wednesday - 69 people have died so far,” Delhi Health Minister Kiran Walia Thursday told IANS.
The five-storey building, located in the narrow bylanes of Lalita Park in Laxmi Nagar, was home to poor immigrant families, mostly from West Bengal and Bihar. With an illegal sixth floor under construction, the building collapsed Monday night.
At least 82 people with minor and major injuries have been admitted to various hospitals. “We are ensuring proper medical care for the injured in hospitals,” Walia added.
Rescue operations are in full force after heavy rains disrupted the relief work.
A one-member judicial probe, to be conducted by former Delhi High Court Judge Lokeshwar Prasad, has been ordered by the Delhi government.
“A judicial inquiry is on. We would comment only after the commission has completed its inquiry,” Walia said. The report is to be submitted within 90 days.
Amrit Singh, the owner of the building, was remanded in two days’ police custody Wednesday.
The Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) has also given a 24-hour evacuation notice to 38 buildings in Laxmi Nagar in east Delhi, after the buildings were declared “dangerous” as per construction norms and due to their location on the soil bed of the river Yamuna.
- Delhi building collapse: Owner claims innocence, probe ordered (Lead) - Nov 17, 2010
- Delhi building collapse: Owner claims innocence, toll may rise (Second Lead) - Nov 17, 2010
- Building collapse toll 69, political blame game goes on (Night Lead) - Nov 18, 2010
- Minister fears repeat of Delhi building collapse - Nov 24, 2010
- Blame game in midst of building collapse tragedy - Nov 16, 2010
- 24 killed, 90 injured in Delhi house collapse (Third Lead) - Nov 16, 2010
- One killed, 30 injured in Delhi house collapse (Lead) - Nov 16, 2010
- Delhi minister denies building owner's claim - Nov 17, 2010
- 24 killed in Delhi house collapse (Second Lead) - Nov 16, 2010
- Death toll rises to 67 in New Delhi building collapse - Nov 16, 2010
- Delhi building collapse: Blame game continues - Nov 18, 2010
- Owner of collapsed New Delhi building arrested, 38 buildings evacuated - Nov 17, 2010
- 32 killed, 90 injured in Delhi house collapse (Fourth Lead) - Nov 16, 2010
- Delhi building collapse: 20 still missing, probe ordered (Roundup) - Nov 17, 2010
- Delhi building residents panic on seeing cracks - Nov 29, 2010
Tags: building collapse, collapsed building, delhi government, delhi high court, east delhi, evacuation notice, heavy rains, immigrant families, judicial inquiry, judicial probe, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, proper medical care, rescue operations, river yamuna, sixth floor, soil bed, spell of rain, walia, west bengal