Death toll of Cairo rockslide climbs to 61September 10th, 2008 - 5:44 pm ICT by IANS
Cairo, Sep 10 (Xinhua) Sixty one people have been confirmed dead in Saturday’s massive rockslide in the east of Cairo, the Egyptian MENA news agency reported Wednesday.Thirteen people out of the 58 injured are still in hospitals for treatment, said health ministry official Mohammed Sultan.
On Saturday morning, the massive rockslide in El-Deweiqa area, close to the eastern Cairo suburb of Nasr city, levelled a number of shanties in the slum area.
Huge boulders, estimated to weigh between 60 and 70 tonnes, buried about 30 houses at the foot of the Muqattam hill.
Hopes of finding more survivors are fading four days after the heavy boulders destroyed and buried the houses at the foot of the hills.
- Landslide kills 20 in Egypt - Sep 06, 2008
- Three Germans drown in submarine accident - Feb 10, 2012
- Rain-triggered rockslide flattens Nairobi slum, killing 7 - Apr 05, 2012
- 10 killed in sectarian clashes in Cairo (Lead) - Mar 09, 2011
- Building collapses in Cairo, casualties unknown - Jan 27, 2011
- Cairo rockslide toll reaches 30 as full tragedy unfolds - Sep 07, 2008
- Egyptian parties divided on army official's meeting - Oct 03, 2011
- Egypt extends suspected Israeli spy's custody for 15 days - Jun 26, 2011
- Egyptian court clears doctor of virginity test charges - Mar 12, 2012
- Egypt deports Iranian diplomat suspected of spying - May 30, 2011
- Nine die in Egyptian sectarian violence (Lead) - May 08, 2011
- Over 38,000 Egyptians return from Libya - Feb 26, 2011
- 12 dead in Egyptian families' quarrel - Jun 11, 2012
- 12 die in Egypt building collapse - Jul 15, 2012
- Egyptian camel handlers threaten 'siege' - Mar 28, 2012