Death toll mounts in Vizag steel plant blastJune 14th, 2012 - 3:19 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, June 14 (IANS) The death toll in Wednesday’s explosion in Visakhapatnam Steel Plant (VSP) rose to 11 with two of the injured succumbing Thursday.
Two workers who were critically injured died at a private hospital in Visakhapatnam, about 600 km from here.
Initially the death toll was put at 15 but the steel plant authorities have confirmed 11 deaths so far.
The accident took place when an oxygen tanker exploded Steel Melting Shop (SMS) II, wing of the public sector undertaking.
Eight persons are undergoing treatment at hospitals. The injured include VSP General Manager (projects) D.S. Kalsi.
Ten of the victims have so far been identified. The dead include two deputy general managers of construction wing.
The plant employees stayed away from work Thursday as a mark of respectfor those who died in the blast and also to lodge their protest over the alleged negligence by the management leading to frequent mishaps.
Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy expressed shock over the mishap. He would be visiting the hospitals in Visakhapatnam to call on the injured.
Communist Party of India (Marxist) state secretary B.V. Raghavulu demanded high-level probe into the disaster. He sought compensation for the families of the dead and for the injured.
This is said to be the worst disaster in the 40-year-long history of VSP, also known as Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Limited (RINL).
This is the third fire accident in less than two months and the fourth this year.
Two workers engaged by a private company were burnt alive in a blast in the recently commissioned blast furnace-III on May 1.
In another fire mishap on May 22 a conveyor belt carrying raw material to new blast furnace completely melted, stalling the production and causing a property loss of about Rs. one crore. There were no casualties.
The blast furnace III was erected as part of the plan to expand plant capacity to 6.3 million tonnes.
- 15 killed in fire at Vizag Steel Plant (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- 15 killed in fire at Vizag steel plant - Jun 14, 2012
- Gas leakage kills two in Ukraine - Aug 18, 2012
- Chinese steel plant accident toll rises to 12 - Oct 06, 2011
- Six injured in steel plant blast (Lead) - Jan 11, 2010
- Steel Minister asks RINL to explore possibility of cement plant in Visakhapatnam - Mar 23, 2011
- NDMA to lay down guidelines for hospital fires - Dec 12, 2011
- Rashtriya Ispat to invest Rs.42,000 crore in Andra Pradesh - Jan 16, 2012
- Six injured in blast at Orissa steel plant - Jan 11, 2010
- Mumbai blasts death toll rises to 18 - Jul 15, 2011
- Bengal trawler capsize: Toll now 20 (Lead) - Oct 31, 2010
- Fresh blast in Japan n-plant; 2,000 more bodies found (Third Lead) - Mar 14, 2011
- NMDC to set up India's largest blast furnace in Chhattisgarh - Jun 01, 2011
- Police probe workers' deaths at Jindal plant (Lead) - Jul 15, 2010
- Mumbai blasts toll rises to 26 - Jul 30, 2011
Tags: blast furnace, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, conveyor belt, death toll mounts, fire accident, general managers, ispat, kalsi, kiran kumar, level probe, plant authorities, plant blast, private hospital, rs one, state secretary, steel plant, undergoing treatment, vsp, worst disaster