Death toll in Kyrgyzstan earthquake rises to 65 (Lead)October 6th, 2008 - 3:23 pm ICT by IANS
Bishkek/Moscow, Oct 6 (DPA) The death toll in the 6.6-magnitude earthquake that hit southern Kyrgyzstan last night rose to 65, the emergency ministry said Monday.More than 50 people were also injured in the devastating quake that wrecked dozens of homes in the rural and mountainous southern province of Osh of the Central Asian state, the ministry said, adding that rescue workers were still searching for survivors under the rubble.
The epicentre of the quake was located 65 km southeast of Sary-Tash, a village at the corner of Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and China, the US Geological Survey said.
The quake measured 6.6 on the Richter scale, hit at 9:52 p.m. and was at a depth of 35 km, it said.
Most of the casualties occurred in the mountain town of Nura along Kyrgyzstan’s border with China, where at least 120 homes were destroyed, Kamchibek Tashiev, an emergency ministry spokesman, was quoted as saying by the Interfax news agency.
The village of Nura is “almost completely destroyed,” said Tashiev.
“Getting aid to victims is made difficult by the remoteness of the villages which were affected by the earthquake… the nearest point providing medical aid is 76 km from Nura,” he said.
Earthquakes are frequent in the region. A 6.0-magnitude quake jolted the nearby Uzbek capital of Tashkent this August but it wrought little damage.
- No casualties after strong earthquake jolts Kyrgyzstan-Uzbekistan border area - Jul 20, 2011
- Strong quake in central Asia kills 13, injures dozens - Jul 20, 2011
- Toll in Kyrgyzstan quake rises to 72 (Second lead) - Oct 06, 2008
- 13 dead, 86 hurt in Uzbekistan earthquake - Jul 20, 2011
- At least 58 killed in Kyrgyzstan earthquake - Oct 06, 2008
- Earthquakes in India : A chronology - Apr 11, 2012
- Iran earthquake toll rises to 306 dead, more than 3,000 injured - Aug 14, 2012
- Quake hits Iran - Sep 28, 2010
- An earthquake in Southern Xinjiang - Oct 09, 2008
- 35 injured, 64,500 affected in China quake (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Damage reported after moderate earthquake rattles southern Iran - Jan 05, 2011
- Moscow turns down Kyrgyzstan's request for help (Second Lead) - Jun 13, 2010
- All Indian students evacuated to Kyrgyz capital: ministry - Jun 16, 2010
- Iran twin quake toll rises to 306 - Aug 13, 2012
- Stranded Indian nationals in Kyrgyzstan safely evacuated - Jun 15, 2010