Death term sought for Katara murder convict (Lead)January 20th, 2012 - 8:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 20 (IANS) State prosecutors have sought death penalty to Sukhdev Pehalwan, convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment in the Nitish Katara murder case. On the prosecution plea, the Delhi High Court has sent Pehalwan a notice.
Pehalwan was given life term by the trial court July 12, 2011, for abducting and killing business executive Nitish Katara in February 2002.
The prosecution’s petition said that after killing Katara, Pehalwan with co-accused Vikas Yadav tried to destroy evidence and burn his body. It added that it reflected the nature of the criminal and his conduct could not be reformed and he could not be rehabilitated.
According to the prosecution, Pehalwan along with Vikas Yadav, son of Uttar Pradesh politician D.P. Yadav, kidnapped and killed Katara, son of an Indian Administrative Service officer, on the night of Feb 17, 2002. They abducted Katara from a marriage party in Ghaziabad as they were opposed to his relationship with Vikas’s sister Bharti.
- Death term sought for Katara murder convict - Jan 20, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder witness guilty of lying, says convict - Jul 17, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder witness guilty of lying, says convict (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Sukhdev Pehalwan gets life term for Nitish Katara murder (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder: Third accused held guilty - Jul 06, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder: Verdict on third accused Wednesday - Jul 05, 2011
- Give death to Nitish Katara killers, police tell court - Aug 28, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder: Court seeks Vikas Yadav's health records - Feb 01, 2012
- Vikas Yadav wants four days leave from jail - Nov 09, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder: Court seeks Vikas Yadav's health records (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Court orders medical inspection of Nitish Katara killers - Feb 02, 2012
- Vikas Yadav gets one day's leave from jail (Lead) - Nov 22, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder: Arguments on punishment July 12 - Jul 07, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder: Vishal Yadav's bail plea rejected - Feb 24, 2011
- Katara murder case: Delhi HC allows Vikas to attend brother's wedding - Apr 26, 2011
Tags: abducted, administrative service officer, business executive, death penalty, delhi high court, ghaziabad, indian administrative service, life imprisonment, marriage party, murder convict, New Delhi, nitish katara murder, nitish katara murder case, petition, plea, politician, prosecution, state prosecutors, trial court, yadav