Death penalty of man convicted for killing wife, daughters reducedMay 8th, 2009 - 10:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 8 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Friday reduced the death penalty of a businessman to life imprisonment as the court felt this case where the man had poisoned his wife and three minor daughters because he saw no way out of his financial crisis was not “rarest of the rare”.
A division bench headed by Justice Pradeep Nandrajog said that this case does not fall under the category of “rarest of the rare” cases and declined to confirm the death penalty awarded by the trial court against Raj Kumar Khandelwal for the murder of four people.
“The accused did not murder his wife and daughters for any personal gain. He killed them as he thought that by doing so he was giving them deliverance from misery,” observed the bench in a verdict on his appeal.
According to the prosecution, Khandelwal, proprietor of Jyoti Industries in Gaya, Bihar, had taken a loan of about Rs.12 lakh from Canara Bank in 2004 and ran into losses due to financial mismanagement of his firm.
Faced with financial crisis, Khandelwal was under mental and emotional tension. He made up his mind to get rid of his wife and three minor daughters, the prosecution said.
- Why shouldn't you get death, apex court asks killer of five - Sep 03, 2011
- Court commutes death penalty of minor's rapist, killer - May 07, 2010
- Sukhdev Pehalwan gets life term for Nitish Katara murder (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- Godhra train burning case sentencing March 1 (Third Lead) - Feb 25, 2011
- Prosecution hails death penalty for Kasab - Feb 21, 2011
- Godhra train carnage sentencing March 1 (Second Lead) - Feb 25, 2011
- Death sentence is judicial murder, says judge in Rajiv killing - Oct 16, 2011
- Award death in staged shootout cases: Supreme Court - May 13, 2011
- Kasab to hang: Bombay High Court (Lead) - Feb 21, 2011
- Punjab man gets death for burning two sons to death - Sep 18, 2012
- Why not death to you, apex court asks Hawara - Dec 05, 2011
- SC upholds life for former MP Anand Mohan (Second Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Nithari killings: Koli gets death for minor girl's murder (Lead) - May 12, 2010
- Death sentences commuted for six in Khairlanji massacre case (Lead) - Jul 14, 2010
- Adopted son sentenced to death for murdering parents, wife - Sep 04, 2012