Death for Kasab is victory of justice, says Ujjwal NikamFebruary 21st, 2011 - 2:19 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 21 (IANS) “This is a victory of justice and defeat of drama by Pakistani terrorist Kasab,” Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said here Monday after the Bombay High Court upheld the death sentence to Kasab a lower court awarded for the killings during the 26/11 terrorist strike. Speaking to mediapersons, a beaming Nikam said that “the storm of terror unleashed by Kasab and his accomplices has finally ended” and there would be mourning and breast-beating in the camps of his handlers.
In his briefing, in which he called Kasab “a monster” and “a demon” and also threw in a couplet to loud applause, Nikam said that Kasab frequently attempted to misguide the prosecution and investigators, changed his statements at regular intervals and even pleaded for a life term at the fag end of the trial.
“However, nothing worked and we managed to foil all his designs. The Bombay High Court has upheld our plea, terming it as ‘the rarest of rare cases’ and retained the death verdict by the lower court,” Nikam said.
Expressing his happiness at the outcome, Nikam said the “monster” who was involved in the Nov 26-29, 2008, Mumbai terror attacks, in which 166 people were killed and over 230 injured, has been brought to justice.
Nikam also said he would recommend appealing against the acquittal of his two Indian co-accused Fahim Ansari and Sabahuddin Ahmed by the court Monday.
“After getting the copy of the order, I shall recommend to the government to appeal against the judgment letting off the two co-accused,” Nikam said.
- 26/11 attacker Kasab's death penalty upheld (Roundup) - Feb 21, 2011
- 'Perverse' 26/11 attacker Kasab's death penalty upheld for attacking Indian state (Intro Roundup) - Feb 21, 2011
- Kasab to hang: Bombay High Court (Lead) - Feb 21, 2011
- Bombay High Court postpones Kasab matter till Aug 12 - Aug 02, 2010
- 26/11 case: Kasab appears via video-conferencing in Bombay High Court - Oct 21, 2010
- 26/11 attacks: Kasab may move Supreme Court against death sentence - Feb 21, 2011
- 26/11 case: Kasab refuses to appear via video link - Oct 20, 2010
- Its crystal clear who masterminded 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks: Sonia Gandhi - Nov 02, 2010
- Mumbai attack: Hearing on confirmation of Kasab's death sentence from Oct 18 - Sep 20, 2010
- Kasab will be asked to appeal: Lawyer - Feb 21, 2011
- Fahim Ansari's wife relieved at his acquittal - Aug 30, 2012
- SC to decide Mumbai attacker Kasab's fate Wednesday - Aug 28, 2012
- Supreme Court reserves verdict on Kasab's plea (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- 26/11 attacks: Maharashtra Govt. to appeal against Ansari, Sabauddin in SC - Feb 21, 2011
- Prosecution hails death penalty for Kasab - Feb 21, 2011
Tags: accomplices, acquittal, ahmed, ansari, bombay high court, couplet, death sentence, fag end, intervals, kasab, killings, loud applause, nikam, plea, prosecution, public prosecutor, rare cases, storm of terror, terror attacks, terrorist strike