Dealers in stolen vehicles arrested in DelhiJanuary 20th, 2011 - 12:37 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 19 (IANS) A four-member gang of ‘auto dealers’ who used to purchase luxury vehicles stolen from north India before selling them to VIPs, including retired Indian Army officers and lawyers, across the National Capital Region (NCR) was busted in south Delhi’s Haus Khas area, police said Wednesday.”The arrested have been identified as Pawan Goel, Amit Bansal, Pradeep Kumar and Bipin Kumar Gupta. While Goel and Gupta are residents of Bulandshahr in Uttar Pradesh, Bansal and Kumar were their local contacts who stay in northwest Delhi’s Rohini,” a police officer said.
According to police, the gang used to purchase vehicles stolen by auto lifters active in the NCR before taking them to Bulandshahr and imprinting fictitious engine chassis numbers on them. Goel and Gupta own a workshop there.
“After they had changed the engine chassis number, they used to sell these vehicles to VIPS. One such sale was made to a retired Indian Army officer in Chandigarh recently. A lawyer in Uttar Pradesh is also among their customers,” the officer said.
Police said 16 stolen vehicles had been recovered at the gang’s instance and further investigations were underway.
- Chandigarh police busts gang of high-end car lifters - Oct 07, 2011
- Auto-lifters' gang busted in Delhi, 12 stolen vehicles seized - Jul 05, 2009
- Auto lifters' gang headed by retired army officer busted - May 16, 2010
- Nepali kingpin of Delhi auto thefts arrested - Dec 02, 2011
- Vehicle thieves' gang busted in Punjab, 6 held - Nov 09, 2010
- Three arrested for stealing Delhi MP's car - Sep 23, 2010
- 41 stolen vehicles recovered in Chandigarh in May - Jun 01, 2011
- Two automobile thieves held - Jan 29, 2011
- Mizoram to have high security number plates to check car thefts - Jan 24, 2012
- Four vehicle thieves arrested - Mar 18, 2011
- Gang involved in stealing over 50 cars busted - Nov 25, 2010
- Auto thieves led by ex-army officer busted (Lead) - May 16, 2010
- Auto thieves' gang busted in Ahmedabad - Oct 19, 2010
- Kolkata engineer designs wonder rickshaw (With Images) - Jun 15, 2012
- Car thieves held in Srinagar - Dec 01, 2011
Tags: army officers, auto dealers, auto lifters, bansal, bipin kumar, chandigarh, chassis number, chassis numbers, goel, gupta, indian army, indian army officer, jan 19, khas, luxury vehicles, ncr, north india, pradeep kumar, south delhi, uttar pradesh