Dead tiger to be stuffed, put on display at Honduran zooFebruary 2nd, 2012 - 11:15 am ICT by IANS
Tegucigalpa, Feb 2 (IANS/EFE) A Bengal tiger donated by a Mexican circus to the Tegucigalpa zoo last year was put down after sustaining a hip injury. It will now be stuffed and placed on display at the zoo, Honduran media reported Wednesday.
Sultan, who was 16 and weighed about 230 kg, was donated to the zoo in April 2011 by the Renato Circus and had become a star attraction.
The tiger was given to the zoo after it sustained injuries in a fight with another tiger, leading its owners to believe it might be crippled, the Environment and Natural Resources Secretariat said.
The tiger was injured during a tour of Honduras and the circus decided to donate him to the zoo in the Central American country’s capital.
Sultan was treated extensively and recovered fully, but he reinjured himself about a month ago, veterinarian Diana Echeverria said.
The tiger was euthanized Tuesday to end his pain and suffering.
Sultan will be stuffed and placed on display at the zoo, officials said.
- TV personality slain in Honduras - Apr 24, 2012
- Honduran journalist's killer gets jail term of 28 years - Sep 12, 2012
- Remittances to Honduras increases - Jul 17, 2012
- US Coast Guard seizes ship with 3.5 tonnes cocaine - Aug 06, 2010
- Ricky Martin expresses solidarity with flood victims - Oct 18, 2011
- Journalist slain in Honduras - Dec 07, 2011
- Seven tonnes of cocaine found in submarine - Jul 31, 2011
- Cops beat protesting journalists in Honduras - Dec 14, 2011
- Honduran police find burnt aircraft - Dec 20, 2011
- 24 die after drinking hooch in Honduras - Jul 11, 2012
- Deadly prison fire an accident: Honduras - Feb 22, 2012
- Mexico renews diplomatic ties with Honduras - Aug 01, 2010
- Honduras signs deal with Chinese firm on hydro plant - Apr 19, 2011
- 16 members of a family slaughtered in Honduras - Sep 21, 2012
- Headless bodies of four women found in Honduras - Sep 04, 2012
Tags: bengal tiger, central american country, diana, echeverria, efe, euthanized, feb 2, honduras, kg, mexican circus, natural resources, pain and suffering, secretariat, star attraction, sultan, tegucigalpa, tiger, veterinarian, zoo officials