Dead snake in mid-day meal, 51 taken illJune 13th, 2009 - 7:24 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 13 (IANS) Fifty-one people, including 43 children, were taken ill after a dead snake was found in a pot of cooked rice gruel at a mid-day meal centre for students in West Bengal’s Birbhum district, officials said Saturday.
The incident occurred at an Integrated Child Development Scheme centre at Rampurhat Friday. It created a stir with Railway Minister and Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee terming it as “gross negligence” and demanding stern action against those responsible.
“The eight adults and 43 children had bouts of vomiting out of shock after the snake was spotted in the bowl Friday. They were kept under observation for several hours in the hospital but released in the evening as there was no evidence of food poisoning,” Superintendent of Rampurhat sub-divisional hospital Himadri Haldar told IANS over phone Saturday.
Sub-Divisional Officer A. Sengupta said the small snake must have fallen from the tin shade under which the food was being cooked.
“I had asked for a report and got it today (Saturday). I have forwarded it to the district magistrate,” Sengupta said.
Asked whether action would be taken against those found guilty, the official sounded evasive. “Only the district magistrate can say this. But I feel it is not possible for the cooks and the supervisors to keep watch on the gruel every second. Do women in our household do that?” he countered.
- Farmers stir turns violent, top official shot (Lead) - May 07, 2011
- Children among 200 ill after school meal - Dec 13, 2010
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 148 (Second Intro Roundup, correcting figure in headline) - Dec 16, 2011
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 143 (Intro Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- Forward Bloc leader shot dead in Bengal - Feb 07, 2011
- Baby allegedly dies after mother cleaned with acid - Nov 02, 2011
- Haryana orders probe into Hisar gas leak - May 16, 2010
- Sand mafia attacks cops, officials in Madhya Pradesh - Mar 10, 2012
- Three school children among five killed in accident - Dec 25, 2011
- West Bengal hooch deaths rise to 167 (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Four labourers buried under mound of earth in Haryana - May 17, 2012
- 12 child labourers rescued in Delhi - May 30, 2011
- Newborn's death: Rights panel seeks report in 15 days - Nov 03, 2011
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 143 - Dec 15, 2011
- No 'poriborton' in health care in Didi's Bengal (West Bengal Newsletter) - Dec 25, 2011