Dead rats from Jaipur’s flooded areas set off alarmAugust 31st, 2012 - 12:25 am ICT by IANS
Jaipur, Aug 30 (IANS) A large number of dead rats being recovered from water-inundated areas in the Rajasthan capital have alarmed the authorities, officials said Thursday.
Some of the dead rodents have been sent to a laboratory in Punjab’s Jalandhar for examination, they added.
“Reports of dead rats being recovered are pouring in from several areas which were flooded during recent heavy rains in the city,” a senior officer of the animal husbandry department said.
The officer said that dead rodents had been found at Talkatora, a water body in the walled city area.
“We sounded an alarm and sent some of the dead rats to regional disease diagnostics laboratory in Jalandhar for tests. We are yet to receive the report from them,” said the officer.
The officer added that several diseases, such as plague, are transmitted from rodents to human beings.
“Teams are being rushed to areas from where complaints of dead rats’ recovery are being received. Rodents are being disposed off in a safe manner. However, there are no reports of spread of any disease so far,” said the officer.
Over 50 colonies, especially in Madrampura area, were flooded since heavy rainfall Aug 21.
- Army called to help Jaipur, Rajasthan battles floods - Aug 24, 2012
- Sonia visits Jaipur areas devastated by heavy rains - Aug 30, 2012
- Fear of plague haunting Himachal villages - Apr 02, 2012
- Bird flu panic abates in Meghalaya - Feb 11, 2012
- Meghalaya culls 5,000 birds - Jan 18, 2012
- Relief efforts intensified as Orissa floods worsen - Sep 25, 2011
- Rains batter Andhra Pradesh - Sep 04, 2012
- Fresh breaches, more rain in Haryana, Punjab - Jul 08, 2010
- Torrential rains, floods hit life in Chhattisgarh - Aug 20, 2012
- Agricultural land flooded in Punjab - Jul 09, 2011
- Bird flu suspected in Meghalaya - Feb 10, 2012
- China warns of floods, rains as millions face misery - Jun 20, 2011
- Three dead, Bengal rivers breach danger mark - Aug 10, 2011
- Life hit as heavy rains lash Hyderabad - Aug 17, 2010
- At least 475 houses submerged by flooding in Bali - Feb 24, 2011
Tags: animal husbandry, authorities, colonies, dead rats, dead rodents, diagnostics laboratory, diseases, heavy rains, human beings, jaipur, jalandhar, plague, rainfall, regional disease, walled city, water body