Dead denied burial over graveyard land disputeDecember 30th, 2008 - 2:46 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Dec 30 (IANS) A village in Bihar’s Gaya district remained tense Tuesday, a day after a group of Hindus stopped Muslims from burying two of their dead due to a dispute over the graveyard land, police said.Muslims of Madhav Bigha village in Gaya, about 100 km from here, were angry after two of their dead were denied burial in the graveyard by some Hindus Monday.
According to police sources in Gaya, when Kamruddin Ansari’s body was brought for burial to the graveyard, some members of the Hindu community stopped the Muslims. Earlier, another body was also denied burial.
“Some Hindus objected and did not allow the burial, leading to tension,” a police official said.
Muslims protested and informed the administration about the incident. Officials at the Nimchak Bathani police station, under which Madhav Bigha village falls, intervened and requested the Hindus to allow the burial, but they refused.
Gaya Superintendent of Police R. Malar Vizhi told IANS over telephone that she was on her way to the village Tuesday morning to resolve the issue. “I am going there to peacefully solve the case,” she said.
Official sources said that senior district officials, including Magadh divisional commissioner K.P. Ramaiah, rushed to the village in view of the tension.
Ramaiah has ordered the Bathani deputy superintendent of police, the circle inspector and other officials to camp at the village graveyard to thwart any untoward incident.
- Three days later, two dead await burial in Bihar village - Dec 31, 2008
- Strike hits normal life in parts of Bihar - May 22, 2012
- Shrinking space for dead in Hyderabad (Feature, With Images) - May 15, 2012
- Man killed in east Delhi firing was family's sole provider - Sep 03, 2012
- Maoists attack legislator's house, blast another's in Bihar - Mar 17, 2011
- Maoists torch vehicles, blast mobile tower in Bihar - Mar 15, 2011
- Life back to normal in east Delhi, six more arrested - Sep 05, 2012
- Pak Ahmadi man forcibly exhumed from Muslim graveyard in Punjab province - Nov 03, 2010
- Polling underway for third phase of Bihar Panchayat polls - Apr 27, 2011
- Nine killed as truck auto-rickshaw crash in Bihar - Mar 01, 2011
- Two killed in Bihar for practicing witchcraft - Jul 06, 2012
- Burial battle intensifies in Nepal - Jan 31, 2011
- Maoists luring villagers to grow poppy in Bihar - Feb 19, 2012
- Nepal PM steps in to defuse religious row over burials - Feb 01, 2011
- Bihar court acquits 23 in caste massacre case - Apr 16, 2012