DDA ordered to pay Rs.3,000 damages to RTI applicantMay 30th, 2012 - 8:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 30 (IANS) The Central Information Commission has directed the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) to hand out a compensation of Rs.3000 to an RTI applicant for providing “misleading information” which caused her mental and physical harassment.
Laxmi Aggarwal had filed a right to information (RTI) application with the DDA on March 11, 2011, inquiring the time of de-sealing and demolition of an unauthorised construction on the fifth floor of a building in the capital.
On May 25, 2012, Information Commissioner Deepak Sandhu directed the DDA to pay a compensation of Rs.3,000 to Aggarwal, saying that the appellant has been put to a loss of two years during which the matter could have been taken up with Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD).
“She has been made to run from pillar to post in vain by the respondent before the wrong agencies due to the misleading information provided to her by the respondent, thereby causing her physical and mental harassment as well financial loss,” Sandhu said in his order.
Earlier, in DDA’s reply, its building and land management departments put the onus of demolishing the structure on each other. This position continued in the next 10 DDA replies to Aggarwal between Aug 11, 2011, and Feb 29, 2012.
However, the DDA withheld an important information that the land area in which the structure was located had already been transferred to the MCD through a notification of June 4, 2010. After this it did not have any jurisdiction over the property.
- MCD ignoring RTI queries, say activists - Oct 11, 2010
- MCD never formed panel to check unsafe buildings: RTI activist - Nov 17, 2010
- DDA asked to compensate Rs.15,000 to RTI applicant - Apr 11, 2010
- 'Accident compensation also for loss of earnings, normal life' - Aug 26, 2012
- Delhi transit system comes under RTI Act: High court - Jul 08, 2012
- Land acquisition: Court notice to centre, Delhi government - Sep 23, 2011
- RTI, the common man's tool to get things done - Oct 11, 2010
- In Delhi, government spends Rs.950 on every plant! - Sep 02, 2012
- Delhi slammed for delayed information, fined Rs.50,0000 - Aug 23, 2010
- No proposal to allot CWG flats to VIPs: DDA - Dec 06, 2010
- Space department declined my RTI plea: Ex-ISRO chief Nair - Mar 01, 2012
- Officials fined Rs.44 lakh for denying information under RTI - Aug 11, 2011
- Four IRS officers' resignations pending: RTI - Oct 30, 2011
- CVC probe going on into 16 Games corruption cases - Sep 07, 2010
- Space department denies information to ex-ISRO chief (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
Tags: damages, delhi development authority, demolition, feb 29, fifth floor, important information, information commission, information commissioner, jurisdiction, land management, management departments, march 11, mcd, municipal corporation of delhi, New Delhi, onus, physical harassment, pillar, reply, respondent